View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #158
edco
Account Suspended

Drives: 07gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I agree...HUH??? Mad Max...double HUH???

The "soft" conversation was in regards the final look of the Mustang compared to the drawings.

BTW, the Camaro is built like a tank! Pete (from what was Pedders) mentioned this numerous times in developing their suspension for the 5Gen.
BTW, I yield to your knowledge about Gen 5 development. I don't have that. I thought the Gen 5 platform was developed by Holden in Australia. Holden used the Pontiac G8 chassis. Gen 5 Camaro prototype was a G8 minus two wb inches and two doors. I did get on hands knees hips and side to study the Gen 5 rear suspension. Army tank does not come to mind. The control arms are stamped sheet steel and too long to be strong. For very little added cost, they could be 2.0" dia. chromoly steel tubular with threaded spherical rod ends. That may not even change the weight. You get alignment adjustment and much stronger arms. I specifically looked for trimming points in the Gen 5 IRS. Did not see any. Perhaps with the car on a lift and one on his feet the rear end is easier to study. On this site in a technical forum, a Camaro driver lost-control went off road-bent his IRS. He feels, after repair, his car is minus 100HP and asking why. I learned this from Coast Driveline (supplied a 4.0" torque tube alum drive shaft for my GT) every 1 degree of angle on a U or CVS joint absorbs 5HP. Camaro has four rear CVS joints. 4 degrees of misalignment = 80 RWHP loss. If a body shop did his repair, they used a tape measure and dead blow hammers to straighten the control arms. To the average knuckle dragger, 4 degrees looks good as straight. I think what happened to the guys performance is the IRS is bent. If that is what dirt does, what is ski jumping your Camaro on concrete going to do? Is IRS great?. Do not have a sideways event or get in a ditch. There is no perfect car or suspension. What problems do solid rears have that IRS solves? I can name major problems that IRS has that solid axles never have. NASCAR-all cars, Ford 9.0" solid rear axle by rule. Are those cars fast?
Z/28, 1LE, ZL1 are hyperperformance and IRS, I suspect the components are radically different from SS and RS. Does Chevy have any tech bulletins for Gen 5 IRS alignment? All I know is what I saw laying on the ground, I suspect that suspension will not take much abuse. Face it, nobody on this site is going to do what Steve McQueen did in Bullitt with their car and that includes me.

Last edited by edco; 03-17-2014 at 04:07 PM.
edco is offline   Reply With Quote