View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #137
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post

2016-17 Camaro LS 1LE 350hp lighter weight - $285000!!! BRING IT ON!
The rumble and intoxicating sound of the V8 is really about the only reason I'd get a V8 over something like that, b/c honestly I currently am very happy with my modded but fat V6 lol. Some days I wish she were a bit faster or nimble, but then some days I stab at the throttle and think "nice!!". lol. A v8 would be great but I'd just be modding it for more power too...never ending for me lol.

Anyways this is not a V6 vs V8 thing...I just agree with that I think a performance V6 would be a fun car. Lets just imagine that the next gen V6, with a track pack/1LE, weighs around 3,400 - 3,450 lbs, has 340 - 350HP, great handling, and 3.31 - 3.55 gearing....now that would be a fantastic machine that could be had for under 30 grand. I'd have a VERY hard time resisting that. Hear me Chevrolet!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

And where is everyone coming up with this magical 350 HP V6? We just go a new V6 in the Camaro. Not sure we should be hoping for that as well on top of a NG car.
The LFX isn't exactly..."new". Sure, its a reworked LLT, which the LLT is an LY7 with direct injection slapped on. Basically, the engine has been under going changes and refinement sine the mid to early 2000s. That said, I think the LFX is a wonderful engine with a balance of power and efficiency.

But I keep hearing/reading about a new line of V6s that GM is working on, and I hear they are called "LGX". Supposed to make its way into the ATS in a year or two. Other than that I have no clue what kind of power and tech they could bring. But if I had my wish it would be a 3.6 - 3.8 litre with direct injection, cam phasing (which the LFX has) but also cylinder shutoff. I've read its very hard to do cylinder shutoff on a 60 degree engine as opposed to a 90 degree because of balance issues, but Honda is doing it successfully in the Accord. Don't see why GM couldn't. Hyundai is getting 345HP from their 3.8 V6 in the Genesis coupe, so that range of power seems completely feasible to me. With cylinder shutoff, I would think very good highway mileage could be achievable.

I like this idea b/c it would be the best n/a V6 option available to go up against Ford's 2.3 turbo 4 if GM decides not to put a turbo 4 in the Camaro. It would easily eclipse the HP rating of the Ford turbo (great for advertising) and likely get close to the same highway MPG rating. Only thing it would not be able to match is the turbo 4's low to midrange torque advantage.