View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #44
Mamooth

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I still can't believe this crap is going on. No one here, correctly so, has argued that parking brake cables don't stretch with use. No one here would ever be able to find a metallurgist or materials scientist who would ever even suggest that any material, stretched enough, won't ultimately fail.

I personally keep vehicles till they're at least 15 years old and many of my vehicles have lived a hard life. I've seen clutch cables break. I've seen parking cables break. I offered up advice early on that is perfectly sound - use 1st gear to park instead of your handbrake: your car WILL NOT MOVE.

No one has bothered to point out that what I've said is perfectly logical. Instead, everyone feels the need to defend their right to use the emergency brake every time they park their car on flat ground. You know what, to all of you, please continue to do so. I'm done trying to educate the children.
That's the internet. Everyone goes on semantic nitpicking rants until someone blows their own head off just to be done with it.

No one here has suggested that cables don't wear/break. Any idiot knows that anything mechanical is going to wear, and things that wear will break. However, what they are saying is that your advice sounds very much like "DONT DO THIS because you will wear your cable out". While that is TECHNICALLY true, I have owned exactly ONE automatic out of the many cars I have owned. On EVERY SINGLE MANUAL, some with 300k miles or more, I used the parking brake literally EVERY TIME I parked the car. I have never had to replace a cable on my car. Not one time. I had to replace someone's cable because I pulled it and they had never engaged it to their knowledge in ten years of ownership. SNAP!

I think the wear is so minimal that what you are arguing seems very akin to "You shouldn't be rolling your windows up and down because the motor will wear out one day."

All of that aside, it's the internet so no one can disagree with anyone without it turning into an argument, right?
Mamooth is offline   Reply With Quote