View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #189
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgonnahappn View Post
I have read through the majority of this thread and I am perplexed at the reaction to a 4 cylinder in the Camaro. I understand the knucklehead idea that american muscle has to be 8 cylinder or flop, and part of my sole still loves to hear an 8 cylinder sing. But truth be told we are one of the last countries that stick to the bigger is better philosophy. Europe has been downsizing from v12's and v10's over the last two decades, and v6 and v8 options down to turbo 4s and 6's. There are a few examples of them moving up, but for the most part mainstream models have down sized.

Another issue that is coming up is the government cafe rules, which state by 2025 the fleet average for each automaker must have a combined mpg of 54.5 mpg. Now that number sounds outlandish but the calculation is a little different, and actually gives credits for a number of reasons, I beleive someone stated it equates to 40.5-42 mpg EPA rating. This is a serious issues, and is one of the many reasons that companies such as Ford are starting to warm up to the idea of a 4 cylinder as the base engine, and turbo sixes in their trucks to replace the v8. That is also the reason why they have started aluminum cabs and beds in their trucks. It is really a race.

Another thing that is going to hit all of us, as state legislators are paying attention to what the west is piloting. Both Carbon Emission taxation and mileage tax. Both have been discussed as a way of pushing people to more efficient cars while maintaining precious tax dollars the states are losing as more efficient cars are uses less gas. To avoid this carbon tax, which will be calculated by average carbon emmision per mile, multiplied by the number of miles driven, is already used in a number of countries in Europe.

When developing new models these are a few things that have to be considered. And I don't understand why people get so up in arms when a company provides an option such as a turbo 4 mill. You are not required to buy the damn thing. And the fact of the matter is you get more gains, for less, when an engine is already boosted. The ford mill will be 325-350 hp 4 banger, will weigh 100-150 lbs less than the v8 about 50 lbs less than the 6 cylinder. And will be about 2k from 450-500 hp depending on what type of internal it has. And will probably still get 28-32 on the high way.

And that is the potential. My Gen Coupe has a larger Turbo on it, its a 4 banger, pumping out 399 hp and 362 lb ft of torque..... and the best thing is I get 31 mpg on the highway as long as im out of boost. I have to be going around 80 to be pushing boost in 6th gear. And that is a small 2.0L mill. It will just be another option.......not the end of the damn world.
What are your views on a "mileage" tax?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote