View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #480
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
BUT, in this case the car was locked up adequately and was stolen after hours. How is the dealership supposed to keep this person out? He has to have the keys at some point when working. Hell, he could simply make a key without the dealers knowledge. The dealer should be screwed for that?
The employer assumes liability when he hires someone. It's why you carry insurance. Every business works this way. You can't operate a business without some trust, and trust assumes liability. No matter your hypotheticals to explain away the keys, it all comes down to the employer trusting his employee. (Besides, Ockham's Razor applies: the simplest, most believable explanation is that the guy always had the keys.)

When I take up a collection in my church, I put in all sorts of safeguards so that the people's gifts go where they are intended... background checks on all volunteers, multiple counters, regular audits, a safe, and an armored truck and guys with guns to take it to the bank. But no matter what I do, there is still SOME risk. I try to minimize that risk, e.g. I probably can't stop a clever pick-pocket from taking a dip in the collection, but there is still risk. *I* am held responsible if there is a loss that *I* COULD HAVE prevented by using due diligence.

While there might be hypotheticals where an employer has NO liability for his employees, this thread is clearly not one of them.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919