View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #117
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
The problem is that the ATS won't be as light as it is now, as it's made for a 4 cylinder power plant. With the heavier duty components to support a V8 in it, it will gain some weight. I think it's still a better platform then a polished up S197.
With the base ATS in the mid to upper 3,300 lb range, and the V6 version in the mid 3,400 range, I'm guessing a V8 with the beefier components could come in around 3,550 to 3,600ish range. Thats not exactly light, but a good 300 or so lbs lighter than the current SS. Lighter than the current S197 Mustang, and might be just as light or lighter than the new S550 Mustang. It would be a nice improvement for sure.

Keep an eye on the ATS-V (might be revealed in Detroit?)....I'd say that should give us an idea of what a car with V8-like power and powertrain will weigh on the Alpha SWB chassis. Not sure if the LF3 TTV6 weighs more or less than the LT1 V8, but by the time you remove some of the creature comforts, and the mag ride the Cadillac would have, the Camaro V8 could end up weighing less.