View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
I always like when people post to promote electric cars, because then I get to explain why what they were sold at the dealer is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
An $80k + 15% HST Tesla Model S - $8,000 green tax credit from the Quebec Government. With 3.99% financing (A little high but ok) PLUS electricity ($0.08 of Electricity = $1.40 Per Litre of Gas Equivalent) means everything will cost me $1079.81 per month, ENERGY INCLUDED, Tax included.
You're a bit off on your cost calculations. It's more like $.30 per liter equivalent cost...and that assumes an unrealistic 100% efficiency for the electric motor, and would be for cheap Midwest US coal plant electric rates (willing to bet your rates in Canada are higher), so in reality, the electricity probably costs even more than that for you.

You are also counting the tax credit as savings as well, as if that wasn't your own money you are getting back. If you lose $20, and find $20 the next day, you didn't make $20.

You are also failing to take longevity into account. The Camaro will last twice as long before dying than a Tesla, so to really figure out your costs, you have to compare the cost of two Teslas to a conventional car.

I also point out a flaw in your financing math as well. At $80K + 15% minus 8K tax credit, a $1080 payment at 4% will have you making payments for 1-2 years after the payments end on your Camaro, and possibly after the Tesla batteries degrade.

You also have to be careful about what Tesla salesmen claim the "actual" cost of the car is if you take energy into account. For example, if you scrutinize their "costs you $500 a month" US lease plan they just announced, you will find that they assume the time you save having an electric "save" you $300. So unless the few minutes a month you spend standing next to the gas pump while it pumps "costs" you $300, then your actual cost may well be $300 more a month than what the Tesla salesman is trying to convince you of.

Quote:
Frustrating! For the same price I can race and beat almost anyone on the road without polluting at all.
Also wrong. If your electricity comes from a coal plant (and most of it does), you'd be polluting less with a gas car. I won't even get into the environmental damage done by the batteries (raw material mining, processing, and disposal).

And if you think its so fast, let's race. I'll put my Oldsmobile up against it. It's got a bad transmission, but I bet I still get to California days before you do.

Quote:
Oh well - this will be my last gas car.
All the high profile electric car companies are filing for bankruptcy, and Tesla is in the red as well...so I'll want to see pics of that next car, because I do like diesels, and think natural gas powered cars would be cool too.

Last edited by fielderLS3; 04-12-2013 at 10:37 PM.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote