View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #1581
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Several things about this thread confuse me.

First, why are all of the Mustang people on here? I know it is the internet and all but this is a Camaro site.

I am a car enthusiast that just happens to favor Chevrolets.

I own a ZL1 now and have owned 2 previous 5th gen Camaros (a 2010 and then a 2011, both were SS).

I am happy for any Mustang owner, or future owner, that feels the same way about their car and I do mine. I love the fact the competition is alive and well, as it is good for both companies and their customers.

I do not prefer the Mustang. I think the new GT500 has some issues that will be revealed over time. I think the fact that the car does not have a front grill is an engineering oversight that had to be accounted for with the dramtic step of having to remove it. I would bet the styling guys at Ford through a major hissy-fit but got over-ruled because the engineers couldn't keep the car cool. This big hole is ugly. This is just my opinion, but I know a little about automotive engineering programs. If were a Ford fan I would be stoked about the Mustang. I'm just not a Ford fan (and I worked for them for 9 years...).

The debate between these two cars, at least in my mind, has never been about 1/4 performance. Who really cares about that? If I did I certainly would not have purchased a ZL1. Not a good value with 1/4 mile perfromance as a goal and a car that cost $60K out the door.

This compariosn should be about overall vehicle performance, acceleration, grip, braking,steering, shifting, etc. etc. That, in my mind, can only be measured, in total, on a road course. Nurburgring is used by many OEM's to measure and establish perfromance metrics for the performance car segment. No, I will never drive on the Nurburgring, but it is a really good measure for a vehicle's overall performance. Potential buyers use this kind of data to help make a vehicle purchase decision (at least I do). I have heard that Ford has been to the Ring several times yet no numbers have been presented yet. Why is that? It can't be raining every day that they are there. What gives?

It would be really good to get a professional driver on the same road course with the both cars on the same day. Until that happens this whole debate means nothing to me. Laguna Seca, VIR, Road Atlanta or similar would be good choices. Let's line them up and see what they do.

1/4 mile performance should go to the Mustang. I would still like to see both cars at the same track on the same day with the same driver.

Both cars, same driver, same track, same day. That is the only way to measure them objectively. I can't wait to see that. Until then this is a bunch of Marketing BS.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote