View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
As I always say when I see these threads about a TTV6 ... they don't make any sense as an offering as long as a naturally aspirated V8 can be fit in the engine bay. I've got nothing against them if the biggest engine the car can take is a V6. But as soon as a V8 is an option, the V8 becomes a better choice. I say the same thing about turbo 4's and NA V6's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Makes perfect sense to me to add this engine to the GM lineup...put her in trucks, cross overs, mid sized-SUVs, cars, and seeing it in the Camaro would be awesome too.

420 to 440 HP like the article is guessing is pretty easy with the 3.6. Most TT V6 guys here are running around 500 crank HP and thats only cuz the fuel can't keep up with more power...but there are solutions for that around the corner it seems.
That power range might be easy to accomplish, if power is your goal. But that is absolutely not the point of having a TTV6 like that from GM's perspective. The goal is fuel economy -think more Eco-Boast and less GTR. Because of that, boost will be restricted so that it probably produces something more like 375 hp. It might get up around 400 ft-lbs of torque.

Thing is, a next gen 5.3L V8 should be able to at least match that kind of output. It would also get comparable fuel economy, maybe a little lower by say 1 mpg. But, it would cost far less. Should weigh a little less too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote