View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 11:24 AM   #92
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
As someone who’s had the experience of having THREE cars stolen in my family (my Mom’s 1985 Regal in both 1986 and 88 - yes it was recovered, repaired, and stolen again - and Grandfather’s 1985 Eldorado in ‘93), I’d ask you to just stay out of this conversation.

Your GM bias is getting ridiculous now. Bordering on annoying. I’m trying my best to be as nice as I can, please take the hint.

Even if what you have to say is true, your position that GM can never do anything wrong with anything is really getting old.

The thing about lawsuits is that the help explore all possibilities and can influence needed change, even across the industry. Theres no harm in exploring the security of Camaros and if it’s an industry standard then it can only help consumers for all car companies. If it’s an industry standard maybe the standards need to change.

Why are some cars easier to steal than others? Kia certainly wasn’t following g “industry standard”. How do we know for sure GM does? Specifically on the Camaro?

It’s absolutely worth exploring.

Just don’t dismiss people who’ve experienced a theft with your bias. Not here.
There is no GM bias, trust me. I have more reasons to dislike GM than anyone on this site. What I am pointing out on GM FAN SITE, are the facts of the case.

Also are you suggesting you have to have had a car stolen to participate in the discussion? Or is having had worked on theft resistance in the industry enough? I have btw participated in break in prevention, which for reference has been a much bigger concern in Europe rather than the US.

I don’t disagree one bit that there should be a change and I believe GM’s Global B architecture likely addresses this, or I hope so. But GM will be motivated by 2 things, $ and or an FMVSS Standard. To a lesser extent IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) but this is to help with injury losses to insurance carriers, sadly not your or my theft losses.

But again, looking at the data, new cars aren’t even in the top 10 list and the highest thefts are vehicles built in mid 2000s. You can actually correlate quite well on what is stolen the most based on production volume and need for spare parts. It’s why the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are always high on theses lists.