Thread: SC3 tire life
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 09:35 PM   #13
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
OP, a few things to help clear up some concepts for you related to tire wear:

Front Toe setting may have larger effect on shoulder wear than camber
Most everyone here that tracks will tell you that front toe setting (being positive or anything other than 0) will tend to cause shoulder wear more so than camber does. There is probably some truth to this as many here have adopted higher front camber with zero front toe and observed even wear (across the tire face) on the track.

Tire Hot Target Pressure
Target hot temps of around 36 front and rear. The high performance supplement says 38F and 39R, but it seems to me that the tires tend to get more slippery once they get to 37.

Tire Starting Pressure @ beginning of HPDE events
You'll hear different opinions on this, but I'm getting mine from personal experience at the track (23 days and counting) as well as from a company that used to rent SS 1LEs at VIR: Don't start your tires at 27 or 28 lbs and take 2 or more complete sessions to finally get pressures up to hot target. The problem with doing this is when the tires are under pressure, you are rolling over the outside shoulder and wearing this much more excessively. So instead, better to start at 30 or 31 and get up to hot target pressures by the end of the first session. As the day progresses, let out air from the tires (a little at a time) as needed if the pressures start to exceed the HOT target pressure during a session; So if at the end of a session you get to 37 and you wanted to be at 36, let out 1 pound before the next session.

Higher negative front camber and daily driving
It's debatable how much high camber will wear the inside shoulder (depends on toe and driving style), but bear in mind that higher camber is designed to help turn-in and even out tire wear at the track tilting the tire away from the outside shoulder (towards the inside shoulder) and thus decreasing OUTSIDE shoulder tire wear. Driving with high front camber on regular streets at low G (daily driving) will at best be neutral on inside shoulder tire wear, or at worst accelerate it.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote