View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 10:28 PM   #4
TheBrightSide

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS coupe (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Yes, you can delete the oil cooler without removing the headers. The hardest one to get to is the top bolt of the oil cooler itself.

Here are some notes/pictures I recorded in my build thread when I deleted mine last year.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=87
Yeah, I debated running it without the stock oil cooler/warmer, but since the front bumper was gonna be off and I was doing some other work (replacing top grille and fog lamp housings), I settled on a custom thermostatic oil cooler setup.

I basically just got the parts numbers from Improved Racing and set out to find the OEM parts I needed for cheap. For the oil cooler setup itself, I looked at the list of parts the Mishimoto oil cooler kit had, but settled on a oil cooler feed thermostat that would mount directly to the oil pan feed, instead of the oil filter housing (Mishimoto).

I think I’m pretty set on installing the oil cooler setup, as it’s fairly simple. I attempted to fix the stock oil cooler leak like 3 times before giving up. First time was simply tightening all the bolts, which didn’t help. Second time, I drained the coolant and oil, so I could replace all the gaskets (oil pan feed and oil cooler); this sadly did not help either. I ended up slathering tons of black Permatex RTV 90-minute, oil resistant gasket maker all over the oil cooling block surface itself; this also proved to be futile….

I think the mating surfaces of the oil cooler housing and block are warped/defective, causing it to inevitably leak. I saw it leaking like the 2nd day I checked underneath the car, and was quite frustrated. I brought it back to Chevrolet, and they fcked around with me 3 times; after another time (4th attempt) at a local Chevy STEALERship, I ultimately gave up. They kept telling me that my EXTENDED warranty fine print details stated that, the oil cooler and gaskets for it were a “gray area” regarding warranty fixes/repairs… and that if it gets “worse” from driving it daily, to just bring it back. You damn well know I said, FCK THAT. Worst corporate stealership experience I had with buying a pre-owned nicer car.
TheBrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote