View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 08:13 AM   #8915
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
If you don't mind questions Martinjlm:
Is this related to the 6th gen V8 investment announced last year?
Too early to say but it would make sense. You’d ant to lean towards the most modern engine designs if for no other reason than longevity and to tie into on going development.
Quote:
Could that be interpreted as a clue they're leaning more toward a F-150 style hybrid than Ramcharger setup?
Keep in mind the idea that this would be for full-size trucks is my opinion / expectation. GM has said nothing on this in either direction. The RamCharger is a setup very similar to Volt. The ICE does nothing to assist moving the wheels, towing mass, or hauling capability. It buys time by putting energy back in the battery so the vehicle can keep doing whatever it’s doing for longer. If GM goes the PHEV route, I would expect physical connection to the wheels which would help in all these situations. When I was still at GM, the Product Development community was very explicit in communicating the difference between a PHEV and a range extender. Since Mary Barra said “PHEV”, I’m assuming those distinctions still hold.

Quote:
For the California plug-in allowance, would a pickup be unladen to meet battery range?
I think so but I would have to look at what was actually signed into law. When I read the Executive Order it was very gray on how to treat PHEV and range extenders. Sort of a non-answer but that’s all I got right now.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote