View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 10:38 AM   #8
RallyRunner

Drives: 2020 RG LT1 M6 / 2019 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedts1986 View Post
So, of course there’s nothing in the manual indicating that a break in oil change is necessary, but like most others, I saw it as cheap insurance. My goal was to do the first change at 1500 miles, the next at 5000, and then every 5000 after that. Also did the diff fluid at 1500 and plan to at 5000, but then not again until much later in the cars life, but all that is irrelevant to this post.

I ended up getting to change the engine oil at 1685 miles and sent it into Blackstone Labs for some analysis. Thought I’d share the report with you guys.

I’ll follow up with another test around the 5000 mile mark and see how things have changed.
honestly, this is looking perfectly fine for a fresh engine. Copper is always high for the first 10-15k miles, and will settle down to single digits. Silicon is found in liquid gasket material and fine particles, this is totally normal for a recently assembled engine. Your steel (iron) valvetrain parts are seating in and aluminum/chrome is your pistons and rings. I don't see anything at all to be concerned about with the other wear metals.

don't put too much stock in Blackstone's implied Flashpoint, its not actually physically tested but derived from an equation they run based on mileage vs expected viscosity. in reality with any DI motor it'll have a higher degree of fuel in the oil than port injected, but its nothing to get concerned about if you stay well within recommended oil change intervals.

don't put too much stock in analysis like these until you've got about 15-20k on the engine, at which point your wear metals will level out and act normal due to the engine being fully broken in. in my other car (4runner) it took nearly 40k to level out! keep on keepin on!
RallyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote