View Single Post
Old 01-19-2024, 02:46 PM   #16
GreyGhost702

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
Well it was certainly not a business failure in it's first 3 generations. Go look up the numbers.
yeah sales fell off in the 4th generation, and it didn't make business sense to build a new generation with no platform to share it with. The 2005 mustang shared parts with other new ford products at the time.
and yes the mustang has a more devoted following but i would defy anyone to look at a 70s, 80s or 90s Camaro vs. Mustang and say the mustang looked better, or that it handled better or was faster.

And as far as sales, 10 years ago the Camaro was leading sales. Since 2019 the Camaro has fallen way off, but hold, the Mustang is now under 50,000 sales per year too. the segment cannot support 3 cars.
long live the mustang and camaro. %^&(* the challenger.
No, the 70's-90's were not winning years for the Camaro in the big picture. It won a few battles in sales. It out-sold Mustang 2 years in the 70's. 4 years in the 80's. Only 1 year in the 90's. That's 7 years out of 30 years, the Camaro out-sold Mustang. Or, from 1967 to 2002, that's 7 years out of 35 years. The Camaro lost in sales to the Mustang 80% of the time pre-5th Gen. 2010 The Camaro came back strong, GM spent earth shattering money re-launching the Camaro as a transformer, putting it in peoples faces almost Bullit Mustang style.... granted, nothing will ever top Bullit. But Bumblebee was a close runner up!

It had a good run and carried momentum into 2011, but by 2012 the coyote was on the scene and another iconic legend relaunch stole the show for the year with the Boss 302. 2013 Camaro gets the 1LE package, and by 2014 we've arrived at the last decade. The S550 stole the show, and with an IRS the Mustang wasn't considered to just be a straight-line pony car anymore.

I agree, the challenger is a boat and I'd never own one. I rented one once, it is extremely comfortable. But it drinks. Respect to the hellcat, but I only like to stop 1 time for fuel when I drive to Vegas, and the Hellcat can't do that lol. Pretty sure a F-16 idles with better fuel economy There were some 70's Mustang's that I thought looked better than the Camaro, I can't speak to their performance. Everything in the 70's was pretty pathetic. The 80's I hands down agree the Camaro was the looker. I've always loved the IROC Z/28 in that deep red. I think the 90's the Camaro got ugly, and by 98 it was ruined for me. But the 98 Firebird was a huge improvement, I'd kill for a WS6 Ram Air today, just to keep in the back under a cover and show people like a coin collection. Probably one of the sexiest domestic cars to touch pavement until the '02 SVT Cobra.

Anyways, it's not right or wrong thing here, just an opinion of why the Camaro is ending. I pray we just don't see it re-launch as an EV. Or maybe... yeah let them relaunch it as an EV! I'll open a retrofitting shop and gut the electrics and stick 'vette goodies in their place

Name:  Camaro-Mustang-626x1951.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  64.1 KB
GreyGhost702 is offline   Reply With Quote