View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 11:38 AM   #4
GreyGhost702

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS1LE
Coming from a history of Mustangs, the Camaro was pretty much a business failure all its life. As a product, there were only a handful of years where the Camaro was more desirable than the Mustang. Over the last decade alone, the Mustang out-sold Camaro year over year almost 2:1 every year. From the consumer's perspective, I think a lot of it boiled down to years of propaganda and bad history. GM's effort to connect with its enthusiasts when the horsepower war reignited was pathetic, and even aired a sense of elitism. The fact that GM carried the Camaro year after year of getting beat out by Mustang in sales, was really a charity for GM enthusiasts. For many years, the Mustang was always the more affordable and better bang for the buck option. For the Millennials, there wasn't even a Camaro option for us to buy when we started driving and buying our first cars. And by the time there was, it was only known as a "bumble bee car."

Personally, I enjoy having a '19 1SS1LE. For some reason, most GM folk hate (for some reason) that GM put a flow-tie badge on the bumper and gave it a 2-tone scheme. Which they went back to generic in 2020+. Fine by me, it makes 2019 a rare year tyvm. GM does something a little different, and the base loses their minds.

I've rented a few late model Mustang GT's on trips. Not sure if it's because they're rentals, maybe detuned (I hope). I have to agree, they feel shitty compared to my SS. Maybe a track pack would feel better, but even the power felt dull, even with the engine screaming. The SS torque in the lower power band feels similar to the kick from my '03 Cobra (in stock form). It's instant, it puts you back in the seat and you know it's there. S550 got ugly with the 2018 face lift, IMO. The Mach 1 looks a little better than the GT, but the form holds nothing compared to the lines of the 6th Gen Camaro. The 2024 Mustang, when I first saw it, I felt offended. Ford copy and pasted the Camaro body and slapped a horse badge on it. How unoriginal. I do think the late model Mustangs are more comfortable, more relaxed. When I get in the 1LE, there is only 1 sitting position and it feels like a track car all day and a cockpit akin to a fighter jet. Maybe a 2SS has a more relaxed feel. But I enjoy it, that's why I got a 1LE and not a 2SS.

What will be even more infuriating is when they bring the Camaro back as an EV. I might have to trade up for a 'vette, just so as not to be confused with the cable shovers.
GreyGhost702 is offline   Reply With Quote