View Single Post
Old 09-10-2023, 10:36 AM   #8863
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
If I correctly understand, Epsilon II and E2XX are one and the same?
This states that the Epsilon II precedes the E2XX: https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-platforms/e2xx/
They are NOT the same. Epsilon started as a GM Europe (Opel / Vauxhall) platform. Epsilon II was the US adaptation of that platform that produced the Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn (I forget the nameplate). The program codes for those initial Epsilon products followed a different “decoder ring” and I think the brain cell that stored that information died at a party long long ago. The programs on the upgrade to that platform were the first to get the E1XX designations.

Quote:
[B] When you say the XTS program code was P1LL, is that different than the platform?
The easiest way I can put this is in the framework of a sports league:

A platform is like a Conference. So let’s call Epsilon AFC.
Sometimes there are variations on a platform, like Divisions in a Conference like AFC East, AFC South, AFC West, and AFC North. So, let’s call E1 AFC East and let’s call P1 AFC South.

A program is like a franchise, so within the AFC East (E1) you have the Buffalo Bills (E1SC - Malibu), New England Patriots (Regal -E1SB), et cetera. And in AFC South you have the Houston Texans (Cadillac XTS - P1LL), Indy Colts (Lacrosse - E1LB), Jax Jaguars (Impala - E1LC or P1LC), et cetera.

The platform refresh would then be E2 with the same body style and brand descriptors. So current Malibu is E2SC, Regal was E2SB, et cetera.

Quote:
[B] Since the Impala, Lacrosse and XTS were built on the long wheelbase variation of the Epsilon platform, doesn't it mean they were on the P2XX platform and not the E2XX platform?
This only lists the 2017-18 Impala and not prior years: https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-platforms/p2xx/
Product Planning, where I spent the last 20 years of my career at GM, owns the development of and the assignment of program codes. Why XTS is P1LL and Lacrosse is E1LB, built in the same plant on the same platform was probably an arbitrary choice and/or an attempt to make Cadillac feel special (P = Premium?). I can only guess.

Quote:
[B] But then there's this platform information: https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chev...vrolet-impala/

It's all over the place!

@Martinjlm I'll wait for your response, because it's driving me insane.
All I can say is GMA does their best to consolidate a lot of information into something meaningful and useful for non-insiders. There is a lot in the link that is supposition. For example, I’ve never heard anyone inside GM refer to a “Super Epsilon”.

Impala is also a bit more complicated in that when the last version of Impala was rolled out in 2014, the previous version remained in market as “Impala Limited” and was sold primarily to rental car fleets. That version of Impala was always a popular car in rental car fleets, so shifting the nameplate to Impala Limited allowed GM to continue to draw revenue from selling to rental car fleets while also keeping the new Impala out of the rental car fleets (high volume rental reduces residual rates that are used to calculate lease terms). Same thing was done with Malibu a couple times with overlapping product cycles. Remember Malibu Classic?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote