View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 11:01 PM   #18
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I am definitely willing to cut OP some slack here. I mean, we all start somewhere. When I bought my first car, a 08 Honda Accord Coupe V6, I didn't even know what type of engine it had. Told my old man it has 192 BHP while it really has 268 BHP, LOL.

That said, do make sure you read the Owner's Manual. You definitely need that to understand your car better. And if you plan on tracking your 1LE - which I highly recommend if you want to appreciate the car more - then the High-Performance Supplement and Track Prep Checklists are also must-reads.

Essentially, your car's oil life monitor estimates how soon your oil needs to be drained and filled, along with the oil filter, but not how much oil you have left. As others mentioned, you need to use the dipstick to determine the amount of oil you have. There is an oil pressure warning light for when your engine oil level is very low, but usually, when you see that light, your engine has already been damaged.

This isn't a BMW where you can read the engine oil level with the computer, but most more knowledgeable BMW owners actually do prefer the traditional oil dipstick because it takes like 10 years for the computer to read the oil level.

The oil life monitor is based on time, mileage along with some other parameters to determine when the oil needs to be replaced. It will drop to zero after 1 year regardless. There is some debate on if you should replace the oil after one year of inactivity - generally, the oil will be fine, but for warranty purposes and such, it would be a good idea to follow the oil life monitor.

Admittedly, the oil dipstick is a bit hard to use on the SS models, but unless your engine is severely underfilled or was burning/leaking a lot of oil, then you have overfilled the oil. Now, I don't know how much damage an extra 4 quarts will do, but you should change the oil right now and fill it to the correct level, and pro tip: when you are filling the oil after it is drained, go with about 8.5~9 quarts and then slowly add as you need from there, since you are unlikely to drain all of the oil in the engine. I usually stop a quart short of the oil capacity stated in the manual and then add 1/3 of a quart at a time. That way, you don't overfill.

Make sure you check the oil level every time you get gas. It's a habit for me now since I owned a lot of oil burners, LOL.

For reference, I have an old Honda Civic Coupe I picked up for a good price, and when I bought the car, the oil level was overfilled by maybe a quart. The engine was supposed to only hold 3.3 quarts or so, and it was leaking some oil on the ground. I actually test drove like that for a bit before I caught the oil level. I did end up replacing the oil after the purchase with the correct amount, and I now have no ill effects on the engine. No oil puddles on the ground and no significant oil losses. The valvetrain actually looks super clean from what I can see under the oil cap. Then again, it's a Honda. Those D16 engines are pretty bulletproof in general.

OP, it would be a good idea to have a mechanically-inclined friend take the intake hose off the throttle body to see if any large amount of oil ended up there. Usually, it will pool up there on a very overfilled engine.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote