View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #292
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
The cars that are in production are purely for CARB compliance and credits. The Honda Clarity is being cancelled. In all fairness to Honda, that is because it will be replaced in a year or two with a product from the Honda / GM collaboration. For all of them, you have to live in a particular area to even qualify to lease one. Because otherwise you won’t find refueling.

Over the road trucks are going to be among the first to go FCEV. A number of OTR work on depot systems where companies that want to control their own refueling can install hydrogen refueling at specific depots and set their routes so that their trucks can travel depot-to-depot comfortably. The cost of hydrogen refueling stations is astronomical, but large truck fleets can afford to strategically place them in their depot systems and manage their routes to optimize costs.

As far as passenger vehicles are concerned, FCEV make sense for Japan and S. Korea. This is why Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai/Kia are more into. It than other brands. It can work in their home markets. Both are pretty much land locked and don’t have to find a way to expand infrastructure across a land mass the size of the US. You will not find (or need to find) concentration of hydrogen refueling stations as plentiful as gas stations in the US. So Japan (and island) and S. Korea (a peninsula with strong incentive to NOT travel north) can get by with a handful of hydrogen refueling stations. For the US, if you think there aren’t enough EV charging stations, just wait until you have to find a hydrogen station in Montana.

Electric vehicle: I have an infrastructure problem.

Fuel Cell vehicle: Hold my beer.