View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #757
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The low speed follow is pretty good on the highway when you get caught up in heavy congestion. I used that on the Tesla, pretty cool just to sit there while it keeps a user defined number of car lengths between you and the car in front of you, it also auto-steers while you babysit the process.

As for the braking concern, I think you would have to get some seat time and judge for yourself. I know what you mean but in practice I haven't seen it become an issue. There is one nice safety feature on the Tesla called Obstacle Aware Acceleration, in which case if you went to slam on the accelerator mistaking it for the brake the car would actually ignore your accelerator input if there was something in front of you and then another safety feature would kick in and Automatic Emergency Brake the car.
See, if the autonomous features are reliable, then I would just rely on them.

And good that it isn't a problem for you, but you have to consider other people behind the wheel and how they might drive if they get their hands on an EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
To be clear there IS still a brake pedal to hammer when you see an obstacle.

And at least in some, the amount of regen braking you get when lifting your foot off the accelerator.

Regen isn’t there for “cool” it is simply there to collect FREE energy. And in an EV that’s just part of driving.

Personally not a huge fan of a lot of regen but it’s analog is shifting to a lower gear and slowing the car with the transmission which I do from time to time with the paddle shifters. That’s about how “one pedal” driving feels.

Try one sometime if get a chance. Not a big deal and you can adjust it in the Bolt if I recall correctly.
I get that, but in an emergency, you don't really have time to think about it, you just act. That's where the issue could come from.

And I get it's free energy, but the amount is pretty miniscule anyway. State-of-the-art regen captures, what, 8% of the energy at best. Not small, but also nothing to write home about. Remember you are on a forum where a good number of people drive a V8. That's like telling us to give a crap about gas mileage. I simply don't give a toss. EVs are already so efficient anyway, squeezing 5~10 extra miles of the range? Don't care. Changing my driving habit for mileage, well then I'd rather not drive.

I will see if I can get a chance to try one but honestly, I feel like I just don't trust it enough to adopt it.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote