View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
Jinkx

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Just wanted to give a shout out to this forum, just got done with a v6 Brembo conversion.

The info found in this forum was awesome.

I was able to perform a proper, no hack job, Brembo conversion with Goodridge steel lines, Z26 pads, 3M #08945 brake lube, Screaming Chicken non-TTY bolts, new master cylinder, proper rear v8 dust shields, etc.

I will say the SS master cylinder in comparison with the v6 did not appear visually to be any different, but the orig had 130K miles on it so figured it was time to replace anyways. I opted to stick with DOT3 fluid for reduced bleeding maintenance.

As an alternative to purchasing all new parts, I scored a set of Brembos from a 5th gen wrecked SS off ebay from seller "samsriverside". The calipers were a little faded looking, but other wise in good working order.

So I sanded the calipers down down, masked and prepped, then sprayed them with G2 paint. Used a cheapo air sprayer (compressed air gravity car paint style) from harbor freight. Just couldn't bring myself to brush on. Spraying them went very well and used every drop of paint. G2 doesn't give you much extra if any at all. Hard to believe people brush on the paint while the calipers are still on the car. Very pleased with the end result. Painting is all about prep work, the better your prep, the better the end result.

Spent $800 shipped for fresh turned SS rotors, Brembo calipers, dust shields, e-brake assemblies, etc.

I found that drilling one small 5/16 hole in-between the wheel studs on the rear hub plate and using a bolt/nut pull method made pulling the rear wheel hubs quite a pleasant experience. The alternative is sacrificing a wheel stud and doing the same bolt/nut pull method, or using an air chisel, and/or saying some prayers with a hammer to be less than desirable alternatives.

Overall, was a very fun project. Patience required . Take your time, do your homework, read info found in this forum, and you will have a great end result!

Thanks again!
Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote