View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
BCDP341

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Red face Even MORE Tire Talk

Before I start, I have read A LOT from the autocross guys, the posts by SUX2BU which I am extremely grateful for his wheel sizing guide and have watched a lot of reviews and pre-HPDE car prep videos.

So the question is for a rookie to HPDE which tire sizing would be best to get feedback from? I am looking at only two sizes for a square setup.

305/30R19 - Gone over Vorshlag blogs about their Camaro they did for a customer.

275/40R18 - The tried and true general size used for starting out in drag racing. Can make work on all 4 corners with an 18x9.5 +30 wheel. No I'm not solely sold on drag racing but having a setup that can technically do both would be nice. Would obviously run only a pair at a time on the rears and have skinny fronts but can throw on all 4 to do road racing.

Now I may or may not have answered my own question above but looking for feedback from others who have been out doing this longer than I have.

Tire choices are:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 (EFS3) (non R, but based on pricing in Canada I can go either way since they cost the same here)

Hankook Ventus R-S4 (RS4) (directional yes but enough people have rotated them as long as it is dry out with no issues to make me confident to do the same)

The tires will be on a dedicated set of wheels and I won't be traveling to the track solo (dad is using this as his way to badger me like he used to when I was a kid) so I'll have a support vehicle that I can swap tires into.

Also I'm not a huge fan of Michelin's despite how great they have been stated to be mainly from a price point and availability. So you can recommend them but just letting you know my bias beforehand. Also if you have a tire you would prefer for a beginner that isn't listed above, please go ahead and state why. If anyone decides to bash a tire but without anything backing it (personal experiences, actual data, etc.) I'll remove the comment. Looking for actual round table help not, as I call it, "fan 590 blasting".

Major thanks in advance and be safe all.
BCDP341 is offline   Reply With Quote