View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 04:27 AM   #221
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Yes I believe there have been issues with declining driver skills since the 80s when they first started with the CDL licensing. I knew of several great old timers who retired because they were afraid they couldnt pass a written test. Some of them couldnt read... but they sure as hell could drive.
For years now they have been filling seats with... recent immigrants. I used to feel a lot more comfortable around the big rigs on the interstate than I do now. I know there are still great drivers out there but Im betting they dont like what they see either.
The gasoline shortage article I read stated that lost demand for fuel caused drivers to move to companies shipping freight that was still in demand. I suppose that's legit. But hazmat tanker hauling pays a lot better than dry freight from Amazon. So if thats the case then increased demand for fuel will suck them right back without a moments delay.
My stepdad was a trucker from 1958-1990

The trucking industry is one where skills of operating a big rig safely is very dependent on people who know how to do many things at the same time with their full attention to everything.

I would not trust a trucker who could not float an Eaton-Fuller without using the clutch. There’s one situation where the automatic transmission is making it less safe for all of us on the highway
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote