View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 03:40 AM   #4
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
I just purchased the mods outlined below:

Texas Speed 2" long tube headers & X pipe (cat delete)
Roto-Fab Big Gulp cold air intake
Nick Williams 103MM throttle body
ATI balancer and 14% overdrive pulley ring
Gates green belt
Jokerz "Full Tilt" ported supercharger
NGK LTRIX7 plugs
Cordes Expansion Tank
Elite E2-X Catch Can

I just watched Andrew of CSP do that Friday night Q&A. He mentioned - more than once - that he didn't like increasing the boost on the stock blower because of cooling issues. I see that many of you are running overdrive pulleys on your cars. Do you think I will have problems with the 14% pulley?
I will have to have a remote tune and after hearing him talk, my head is spinning about that. If I understood him correctly, there are quite a few adjustments that just can't be done without a dyno. But he also said that if the average Joe wasn't so stupid (his word, not mine),he would do remotes. I am confused. Would someone please educate me!

Also, I won't be able to connect the downstream o2 sensor. Could that be a problem? It must have some use. Andrew also talked about editing out safeguards being a very slippery slope. I think he called it "desensitizing" some of the data in the tables.

This is for you that have installed the 2" TSP headers. Are they a fairly easy install or will I have to take apart half the car? And what about fitment?

I would really appreciate it if I could get some direction from you guys that have already worked through some of these worries and issues. I don't want to install these mods and then be afraid to use them.

I thank you all in advance for your help.
Your mod list is just fine and plenty of people run up to a 15% overdrive crank pulley without issues. Andrew's thoughts on not increasing boost was also directed more specifically towards Z06 owners than ZL1 owners due to the cooling issues in a Z06. I think his stance is that you can get plenty of power of these cars that will satisfy most people without increasing the boost with pullies. That being said, almost every other shop uses pullies in their packages and I'm certain CSP does their fair share of pulley installs also. There's just more than one way to skin a cat. Just looking at at the CSP packages, starting with the stage 2 package includes a Griptec pulley.

https://www.cspracing.com/2017-camaro-zl1-package/

I don't see any reason for you to use the 103mm TB though without a ported blower. The stock blower inlet is going to be a restriction with a 103mm TB likely negating any gains you'll get from it.

Let me clear up what Andrew said on the live stream. He didn't say the average Joe was stupid, he said SOME people are stupid. He made it very clear that he's had situations where he gave specific instructions to a customer to make one data log pull and send him the results so he can adjust the tune. He said some people will make five data log pulls and send them him the results. The problem is that if something is really off in the tune, you're less likely to damage the vehicle after one data log pull than you are after five data log pulls. This is why he said that. He also stated its easier to work with a shop on remote tunes because they have a better ear for knowing when something just isn't right.

He talked about desensitizing the knock protection in cars with bigger cams because sometimes they can produce false knock, also in situations where a set of headers may be making contact with some part of the car.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 11-30-2020 at 03:50 AM.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote