View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #324
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sell out at what volume? And what do you mean by a “hot 6”?

Right now you can get a great looking Camaro with a “hot 4” for mid 20s. What you are asking is for GM to give you more car for thousands less. Not going to happen. Arguably the current V6 is also “hot” and it’s pretty much $30k.

So it’s way too easy to say if GM would cut the price $10k they would “sell out”.

You’ve made a ton of good points over the years but to say if GM would just give us a great looking high Performance coupe for less than the price of a base Malibu isn’t feasible. A great idea, but GM isn’t about losing $
Volume would depend on projected demand and the price point. By a "hot 6" I mean use a 6 they already have, and soup it up a bit if necessary. I think 300 hp would be perfect for a base level entry Camaro. I'm not saying cut the price of what they already have; make a new pony car. A lot of the pieces can be pulled from the parts bin because it isn't going to be a track car, so that can help keep the costs down. Pull things from trucks and SUV parts bins if necessary. The demographic that would buy this could really care less what's under the sheet metal. They're going to buy primarily based on how it looks, both exterior and interior.

And take note that I'm NOT saying "give us a great looking HIGH PERFORMANCE COUPE for less than the price of a base Malibu..." No high performance; these are street customers who will use these as daily drivers, as second or third cars for their kids, etc. It just has to have good performance and not be a slug, which can basically be done with gearing more than an expensive motor and high performance tech.

Make it look great; make it look exciting, and that alone will bring in the customers. Give it good performance (not record-setting track performance) and bring it in under $25k. If as a parent I could buy two of these for my high school age kids, for the same price as one optioned SS...that's going to resonate with customers. Especially if the kids are begging them to buy it because it looks exciting. By not having the "high performance" goodies in it, that helps lower the cost of insurance too, which is an added plus for buyers.

Nobody thought that GM was going to be able to bring out the C8 at below $60k, but they did. And that car is pretty much a brand new build from scratch; a much more expensive-to-produce prospect than a reinvented mostly parts-bin pony car. The biggest factor would be looks, pure and simple. It has to look great, and that's something that's a designer issue. It can be done. They have the resources to do it; they just have to have the will to do it. Right now it doesn't appear they do unfortunately, which is SUCH a shame. A new, great looking affordable Camaro would sell so well.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote