View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #147
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yup,,, you are correct. This whole thing has really been expected for a while.
No reason to move on to 7th Gen until we get a Z/28...
If you look at the current state of modern cars, I actually understand that GM (as Ford and Dodge) are not seeing the urge to upgrade to a completely new car. The only ideas current automarkers are having is making your whole dashboard one big display/touchscreen and giving you non reliable assisstent system that support looking at your smartphone while driving like an idiot instead of paying attention to the road. That's not really a reason to upgrade to a new platform, you can still add a lot of this stuff with another facelift.

So what would be the big benefit of Alpha 2 Camaro in about 2-3 years? All this extra stuff I mentioned which hardly are reasons to buy a new car? More track capabitlity? 6th Gen can still outperform the competition and sales kind of show that it's not all about performance for a lot of people. Fixing visbility issues? Yeah this would work, but building a completly new car your for that can hardly be worth it.

So I am totally fine with 7th Gen not already ready to let the mules drive down the road, but waiting 4-5 years to see what big upgrades they can really do in the time. Maybe prices for hybrid technology will drop by then, so they can build a V8 Hybrid with low 3s 0-60 times for the same money that an 2SS costs now.