View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #143
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You really need to talk to a Tesla owner.

With the Supercharger infrastructure Tesla has in place, owners REGULARLY take long trips. A guy who used to work for me just got a Tesla Model 3. If you plan for a half hour snack or coffee break (Not a huge amount more than a gas stop for use with fill-up, potty break and a Diet Mountain Dew purchase) they can go long distances with no issues at all.
I’ve been saying this for YEARS. Americans put so much stock in the ability to pull off the highway for 2 - 10 minutes, fill up, and be back on the road. Reality is that typically, by the time everyone in the vehicle has gone for their potty break, bought a sandwich and a soda at the convenience store that provides MORE income for the station owner than the gas pumps do, and stretch their legs a bit, it’s more like 30 - 45 minutes. An EV with fast-charging capability could have added 30 - 60% of charge capacity in that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You and I would find that to be a bit restrictive, at least I know I do, but for the EV crowd, at least the Tesla crowd, they have that covered.

And yes, if you are an EV owner, you know where the other chargers are. Many hotels actually do have charging stations. You can plan an entire trip around it. It's just currently not as easy as pulling over at the next off ramp for a gas station. But for the EV enthusiasts these are no longer hurdles, it's part of the experience. And this is getting better every day.
Part of the issue it seems is that too many people are looking at the growth of EVs as an “either / or” proposition. It’s “and”. There will be EVs and there will be ICE powered vehicles with varying degrees of electrification. In my opinion, the limiting factor on volume potential for EVs is what I call the “7th Floor Sandy” problem. Sandy lives on the 7th floor of a building in a major metropolitan area that is EV friendly and has a Zero Emissions zone. How does Sandy’s EV get charged? Unless Sandy has a dedicated parking spot that supports overnight charging OR the metropolitan area supports charging of residents’ vehicles through implementation of a “charging parking lot” or the BMW concept I saw where street lamps double as charging stations, Sandy is SOL.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote