View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #124
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
Going all electric with ANYTHING before the infrastructure to support all electric exists widely is a terrible idea. I live in a townhouse with my SS in the parking lot a few houses down. There are no charging stations in the parking lot, and I can't just go stringing extension cords along other people's property to where my car sits (never mind that would be 120 volts), assuming some kid doesn't decide to be a wise guy and unplug one after I hit the sack. What am I supposed to do in this all electric future you keep promoting?

That is, other than be taxed out the nose for an all new infrastructure to replace the perfectly serviceable existing one (be it just in my townhouse community or in the whole region/state/country - but probably all of the above, all at once!), which only makes getting a new electric performance car that much more difficult.

Also, even for those who do have the infrastructure (or a garage where they can conveniently install a 240V charger - for added cost), going ALL electric costs sales to those for whom part of the charm of such a car is a snarling V8 under the hood.

An electric OPTION is fine (being one of those old fashioned - even as a millennial - types, I wouldn't get one myself even if I had a garage, but I wouldn't deny others the nontraditional option of one), but this "all" stuff is a recipe for making something like the Camaro even less of a sales success.
Not just the infrastructure, but the raw material supply capacity as well. I pulled some numbers for sh!ts-n-g!ggles just now...

Nevermind "all".... to get to just "half" the mined supply rate in kilograms per year of lithium would need to grow seven fold and that's with zero lithium used for phones, computers and other consumer electronics, or electric lawn equipment...

And here's something to think about... if "all" cars were BEVs and 100% of all lithium was allocated only for use for cars, the entire planet's lithium reserves world could only sustain production for 14 years.

So we can rest assured that there will still be plenty of liquid-hydrocarbon-powered Camaro's and other cars available as playtoys at least for the rest of our lives... and likely forever.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote