View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #68
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
So, I have a question, since you addressed the "visibility". I have my mirrors adjusted so that I can see always see a person walking around the car, at a distance of 5'. When passing or being passed, I can see the rear of a car on the side of me in my side mirror at the same time I can see the front of it out my window. In other words, I have absolutely zero blind spots.

Now, I also drive my wife's Disco Sport. Yeah, it has "better visibility". Of things like trees and clouds.

My question is this - do you really get better visibility of the things you need to see - like roads, cars, etc.? Or is it just more vertical visibility of things that you don't need to see?
I would bet that most people who use what is considered an unorthodox method of setting your sideview mirrors have very little if any problem with traffic visibility in a Camaro. I am one of those people and it seems that you probably are also. I have yet to convince any of my family members to set their mirrors that way. My wife grudgingly admits that it allows for best use of the mirrors, but then quickly replies that it "just doesn't feel right".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I've daily driven a gen6 since May, 2016 so I'm completely acclimated to its visibility.

The only true visibility issue is knowing where the curb is when turning right in tight situations. I overcompensate to make sure the the right rear tire is clear.

Driving in heavy traffic, parallel parking, etc are not an issue. I can literally zig, zag in heavy traffic with zero issues.

More vertical roof height would make it airy but do nothing for "viability". The high belt line is more of a hindrance, IMO.
Totally agree about the roof height making it more airy, with no USABLE improvement in visibility. As for the right curb situations, yeah that's there. In my case I think it is due to the thickness of the A-pillar. Thing is, most GM cars and utilities share this hinderance. For me, it is more of an issue with my Cadillac SRX than it is with my Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Visibility is an issue, moreso for some than others. It varies...

I've found that you really need to look and plan ahead a bit more when maneuvering at slow speeds around curbs. It also takes some time to get a proper spatial feel for the car, at first it feels large as it's hard to place exactly where it is, especially the front end.

Also, if you're used to turning your head to check your blind spot that no longer works.

Some adapt to these things easily, some never really adapt.
True. If you turn your head to look at what's at 4:00 and 8:00, you'll get an eyeful of C-pillar in the coupe and an eyeful of cloth in a vert. That's why it is more important in Camaro than most any other car I've driven to set your mirrors so that you can track following traffic as it transitions from your rearview mirror to your sideview mirror to your side window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
I'm not 100% sure where the front of my 2017 Silverado is. I always have at least a foot of extra room, but don't have the guts to take advantage of it. I have the opposite problem with the Camaro. I think I have an extra foot of room, but I'm just about out of room. But I'm only 575 miles into the Camaro.
I'm 17k miles in and I still find myself overshooting parking lines.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote