View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #70
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
$2000 Vs. $199 grill. Where did you learn economics? An american made grill will no way in hell be $1800 difference. And if that American made grill was $100 more and I knew it was made in America verses a similar one from China I would still buy American if it means keeping jobs in America!
Would you pay $3000 for an "American" TV vs. $1500 for the same specs "Korean made" TV? How about $2000 vs. $1500?

How about $500,000 for a house built by 5th generation, English only speaking citizens, vs. the same exact house next door for $400,000 built by Juan, Jose and Federico, who's boss may or may not have validated their "status"?

What are "American made" grill brands? (and yes, you can buy a $7000.00 American Made grill, i.e. Lynx and Alfresco)

Weber (a staunchly "American Made" company, as an example of our global economy, makes (assembles) all their spirit and genesis (their two low end series) in China, their Summit series is assembled in the US with globally sourced parts, i.e. China, is that "Made in America?"

You think that $1500 gun safe is made in America...it's not. The company only makes their $5000 safes in America.

The point is, we live in a global economy, and many companies are in a constant battle to provide comparable products at a cheaper price to gain sales and market share. Sometimes i think it's quite ridiculous and I'd pay an extra $2 or so for a pack of strawberries from California over a pack from Mexico.
However, IMO, when it comes to many other consumer items, for them to be made in America and for that company to compete in the market, their margins would be too small to be sustainable, and for them to stay in business and keep employees, they simply have to go outside of this country. So the trade off is keeping the principle of "I will absolutely be made in America" and therefore going out of business out of spite, or increase margins and keep your business running and keep Americans employed by embracing the global economic reality.