View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #72
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
So were we supposed to just let China continue to rape us on the trade deficit? American companies would rather go bankrupt than fix their trade deficit with China, and that's why Trump had to do something. Is the tariffs the right answer? Probably not, but it's a good attempt and smacking the people who need to be smacked.
There are a lot of issues with our relationship with China but a trade deficit is not anywhere close to the top of the list.

I run 100% trade deficit with my grocery store, with GM for my car, etc. and I run exactly the opposite with the customers I have for my business. It's the overall balance with all of your trading partners that is important.

IMO there are a lot of reasons to not support China... their theft of IP, ridiculously large counterfeit industry, hacking attempts on all sorts of US gov't and industry... and the fact that they'll do whatever they think they can get away with wrt seizing and/or controlling land and trade. If their military could match ours we'd be in real trouble, and Xi is no better than Mao. It's scary imo, and no real good solutions exist. I just hope war is not inevitable.