View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #118
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
Ok thanks for a straight forward answer. Nevertheless after so many hours on a track I don't know that my brain would actually trust the computer enough to try it and see what happens!
Frankly same here although i often use Race mode. Yet apply throttle progressively just like in any other car, whilr managing slip angles without help from Stabilitrak yet getting the best traction out of tires possible (at least according to GM).

I think it is important that unlike the old and trusty Competition Mode which retains Stabilitrack at all times, PTM Sport 2 and Race do not. This means the right foot is anything but useless, as the nannies do not control yaw, or slip angles but rather traction only. Hence it is absolutely possible to get out of whack rather quickly if one over does things especially on entry and mid corner. Having said that - the car is superbly balanced and predictable and if somebody just hammers a throttle on exit the TC system wont allow too much tire slip and if necessary will retard the power. But if anyone drives like this id say they need to enroll on hpde 101.

Now back to Comp Mode: altough it does not offer TC it does offer Stabilitrak which manages yaw. This means if you gun the throttle on exit and start going sideways the system WILL intervene and assist the driver in maintaining proper yaw. So id say Comp Mode is more intrusive and most importantly it may allow a driver to learn bad habits re throttle management as it will mask a real response by applying Stabilitrak nanny.

All based on my own opinion of course, so read the official info, test the modes and decide what you prefer best. But i will go as far as to suggest that with PTM available there is little reason to run Comp Mode unless for a drag strip. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote