Thread: 1LE worth it?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
ZLE brakes are bigger than the 6 pod 1LE package? I thought they were the same?
Not quite the same, remember, the ZL1 is heavier, so it has to stop a bit more mass, the SS 1LE brakes are from the ATS-V if I recall correctly from the other forum.

The SS 1LE is an outstanding value and if you are going to track, a great car for tracking. These cars need nothing more than fluids changed, track alignment, and the basic stuff one should usually do for tracking, then eat up your brake pads and tires and live happy. ZL1 and ZL1 1LE are the same way, nothing really extra to do, but the ZL1 1LE takes a big hit in every-day drive-ability due to solid mounts and much stiffer suspension. If you want an amazing track-car that you only drive to/from the track, not a car that you are going to drive all the time and then track some, the ZL1 1LE is one of the best values of any car on the market. The SS 1LE and ZL1 will both be much more livable day-to-day though and don't give up much on the track.

If you mod the SS 1LE, what are you going to do? If you put a super-charger on it, you'll most likely make it slower around a track, unless you do things like upgrade the brakes, run the intercooler necessary, upgrade the fuel-system to deliver the pressure needed for the fuel requirements of the super-charger and g-forces, and so on. The ZL1 gives you all of this right from the get-go. Mods that make sense on the SS 1LE would be things like 19" wheels and tires, weight reduction, cage inside, etc. It puts up impressive numbers in it's own right and punches far above it's class, but if it's the super-charger you want and more power at the track, the only way to do it is the ZL1.

As far as making an SS into a 1LE, I priced out a lot of the stuff necessary to do so, because I was curious about a 2SS 1LE when they were first announcing that they were going to do the 2SS, and of course it comes out thousands more than a 2SS 1LE to add all of those parts individually, and in the end you still don't get the E-diff, the one thing that ends up missing when you spec it all out, which is one of the most important things that help put down the power. The good news though is that the actual 2SS 1LE is only around 8lbs heavier than the 1SS 1LE, so it doesn't gain much weight (this is based on shipping weights). That's like your ZL1 suspension/chassis and interior comforts, but without the insane 650hp, and with the tires and suspension of the 1LE, you can take just about anything around a corner. Yes, brakes are a little different, panels a bit different, but it's mostly a ZL1 with an LT1 instead of the 4, which makes it handle a little better.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote