Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Headers questions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624283)

SurfAnimal 03-18-2024 06:05 PM

Headers questions

Hey all, I've got a new pair of Kooks long tubes arriving in a couple days.
Is anyone here using a heat wrap for the starter?
Is it a necessity? Thanks in advance.
2010 SS with cai.

ss camaro-monte 03-18-2024 07:18 PM

I have a 2015 ss and I have had headers since 20k miles and I now have 54k on it for over 4 years and I personally haven't had any problems with heat soak with the starter and I have, cam, heads, gears stall etc. Basically everything except power adder and I still have the original starter with no problems but others have had problems.

I bought the heat wrap from DEI because others said it was a problem but never installed it. Haven't needed it and I live in 105+ summer Texas heat but yes the headers will make the engine bay hotter. If you are that worried about heat soak I would recommend ceramic jet hot coating the headers before installing them. Just my 2 cents.

CamaroCracka 03-18-2024 07:18 PM

Never used heat wrap in the starter area. Did put better grounding on the turbo car. It starts like a champ. No extra grounding on the vert and it's starter is lazy after initial startup. Will be adding some grounds in the near future.

morepowerjoe 03-18-2024 08:55 PM

I live in the Texas heat too and haven't had any problems with heat soak either but like others have installed the extra grounds as well.

1JEWLDSSRS 03-19-2024 01:20 PM

On my Camaro I have done the extra ground cables to do away with the "hot start" issues. I ran mine about 9 years with the LT's and original starter with no issues, until the starter got weak, and the hot start problem reared its ugly head. Replaced the starter, and again, extra grounding cables and I did use the DEI heat wrap on the new starter just to be safe.

pyroguy 03-19-2024 03:31 PM

You spent the money for great headers, send them to get ceramic coated. You won't have to worry about exhaust wrap wearing out and the headers will look like new from now until forever. I have ceramic coated Kooks headers that are almost 9 years old and they look as good as day 1.

trashbasket 03-19-2024 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyroguy (Post 11412663)
You spent the money for great headers, send them to get ceramic coated. You won't have to worry about exhaust wrap wearing out and the headers will look like new from now until forever. I have ceramic coated Kooks headers that are almost 9 years old and they look as good as day 1.

What he said. I recommend Jet Hot. Looks better, will last longer, and reduces heat.

bsn 03-19-2024 04:34 PM

I have ceramic coated headers never had a problem with heat soak but I did end up putting a starter blanket on it-just in case.

joshnmn 03-19-2024 09:45 PM

The starter has a heat shield on it

morepowerjoe 03-20-2024 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshnmn (Post 11412772)
The starter has a heat shield on it

That's a good point, mine does.