Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deer damage (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610077)

tumbleweed1002 10-04-2022 04:27 PM

Deer damage

2 Attachment(s)
Well played a game of Whak F%@k with a deer this morning.

0stones0 10-04-2022 04:30 PM

Bummer. Doesn’t look to bad to repair but, you won’t know until you get all the way into it. Best of luck.

Gen5_AK 10-04-2022 07:08 PM

At least it wasn't a moose? Just trying to find that silver lining...

Nice lookin' car none the less!

TooCool5 10-04-2022 07:58 PM

Yikes. :confused0068:

joekono 10-04-2022 11:18 PM

Wow tumbleweed1002, sorry to see this:mad0259:. Glad you're OK. If the lights are OK and it's just the bumper, that's a break(I know, it's not my money but I just had the bottom of my bumper repaired). Also, it looks like you have the same splitter I have. Can it be salvaged? Finally, I love the heritage grill for these Camaro Gen5s but I have a 2014 so the top grill is different as well as the bottom. I'm happy with mine but boy I do love the heritage grill. Maybe you can take the opportunity to see what grills you can mod to in case you were thinking about it. Hopefully, the damage is minimal(especially that cool hood). Good luck!!!!!. Your Camaro Gen5 is beautiful!:bow::happy0180:

102SS 10-05-2022 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen5_AK (Post 11237671)
At least it wasn't a moose? Just trying to find that silver lining...

Nice lookin' car none the less!

They lay down on the hood and greenhouse and would probably cause a fatality if you hit one at 50mph.

OP mine looked a bit worse and the body shop got a replacement nose cone, and she looks good as new.

acammer 10-05-2022 06:52 AM

That sucks man - I got mine last year. Not sure they'll want to mess with fixing that fender, it's folded down pretty good, and most body shops are not into doing that kind of metal work anymore, they just buy a new panel. Best of luck with the repair, maybe it's an opportunity to go to a heritage grill or some other aesthetic mod up front you've been thinking about.

ABM2SS 10-05-2022 07:02 AM

I play deer roulette on every one of my 59 mile morning commutes. Body should be able to make it look new. You'll need a new fender as well, that'd be hard to straighten given how thin the sheet metal is.

xstuntman 10-05-2022 08:38 AM

Well he should taste good after the tenderizing he got.
You did put him in the trunk right?

Having flashbacks to that Chris Farley movie when the deer wasn't dead after all. :fear:

ElderJ 10-05-2022 10:17 AM

We actually had a deer hit us rather than us hitting it. Driving through Michigan at night during the late fall, doing about 45-50 along some back highway, when a deer comes galloping out of the woods just in front of us. There was snow and a little ice on the roads (Michigan), so maneuvering or braking was at a minimum. Thankfully the deer slipped before trying to prance across the highway, and by that time we had just passed him enough to where he clipped our back end. Sounded much harder than it must have been because I couldn't find any trace marks of its impact.
It was fine, by the way, as it jumped its way across the road. For those not in the know, those things can do some serious damage to cars.

Gen5_AK 10-05-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 102SS (Post 11237815)
They lay down on the hood and greenhouse and would probably cause a fatality if you hit one at 50mph.

OP mine looked a bit worse and the body shop got a replacement nose cone, and she looks good as new.

Yeah, I used to be on the list for Road Kill moose growing up and saw a lot of vehicles totaled by moose. The A pillars are surprisingly stout, though. The worst was a small sedan, like a Kia Rio or something similarly sized and did exactly what you described. Laid on the hood and actually rolled over the entire car. That lady ended up in the hospital for a few days. Funny, though, we knew the PA that was assigned to her and we ended up getting her the heart and some of the meat. Most of the time, people don't die from hitting them.

The craziest survival was a guy that hit a moose on his motorcycle at 45mph. Center punched it. Killed the moose. He broke a bunch of ribs, but was "okay" all things considered.

FasNuf 10-05-2022 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yea, been there.
Almost $7000 to repair. Took out my AFCO cooler as well as the RH fender, RH headlight, and front grill and bottom splitter. Blended color into the passenger door and the hood. I had them replace the parts (no bodyfiller) with OEM except the headlight. The aftermarket was $600 and was identical in everyway to the $1000 OEM except the Lexan had a different symbol on it. Both made in the same factory and both used Panasonic ballasts.

redcoats1976 10-05-2022 03:24 PM

coulda been worse,i got clocked by a semi about 3 months ago.believe it or not it was repaired but cost the insurance company about 12k.i walked away without a scratch,but i do not want a return bout.

tumbleweed1002 10-05-2022 05:36 PM

Still waiting on an estement I know the r/headlight is toast as well as the fog light both grills front facia, the hood is rolled up in the front and the right fender is rolled at the front and it loos like the top of the core support is bent down. It was a large buck out for a run at 3:30am and I was doing 75mph when we met.