Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   L99 sport mode not working (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605143)

Nz2ssrs 05-05-2022 10:20 PM

L99 sport mode not working

Hi Guys,

My 2011 2ss had never really driven any differently in sports mode until the other day.

I slowed down for a corner then accelerated out of it hard and then backed off for the next corner. When I backed off it held the revs high and when I was braking for the corner it raved up and power shifted down into the next corner. It was actually working how I expected sports to work. Then coming back through the same corners again later that day if did the exact same thing. Since then I can not get it to work in sports mode the same way? What am I missing?
It shifts into sports and shows “s” on the dash but drives no different to “d”

What are the requirements for sports mode to work fully?

KillboyPowerhead 05-06-2022 07:06 AM

I've only used Sport mode a few times (I always use the tap shifts) but from what I remember you just need to drive the car hard - driving "normally" won't be much different than D, but stomping on the throttle and brake pedals will let the computer know you want to go fast.

Nz2ssrs 05-06-2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead (Post 11170559)
I've only used Sport mode a few times (I always use the tap shifts) but from what I remember you just need to drive the car hard - driving "normally" won't be much different than D, but stomping on the throttle and brake pedals will let the computer know you want to go fast.

Yea I tried stomping to the floor, tried full throttle to 60mph and backing off, tried full throttle from 0-40mph, tried 3/4 throttle and 1/2 throttle in the same tests and nothing…. As soon as you take your foot off the gas the revs drop to just over 1000

I’m thinking there’s something else going on not allowing sport mode like the engine temp isn’t getting hot enough? The analogue gauge sits at 1/3 at running temp which is weird as all my cars normally sit at 1/2 way point.

On the digital gauge it’s 189 deg f normal running temp.

SlingShot 05-06-2022 03:44 PM

While driving in M (Manual Mode),
if Tap Shift has not been activated,
the transmission determines when
the vehicle is being driven in a
competitive manner and will select
and hold the transmission in lower
gears and have more noticeable
upshifts for sportier vehicle
performance.

My 14 SS Sedan does the same thing, I've only been able to activate it going around corners. You have to hit the gas hard going around the corner.

Nz2ssrs 05-06-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 11170812)
While driving in M (Manual Mode),
if Tap Shift has not been activated,
the transmission determines when
the vehicle is being driven in a
competitive manner and will select
and hold the transmission in lower
gears and have more noticeable
upshifts for sportier vehicle
performance.

My 14 SS Sedan does the same thing, I've only been able to activate it going around corners. You have to hit the gas hard going around the corner.

Yea this makes sense as it happened straight out of a corner, maybe there’s a sensor that picks up g force to initiate it?

gtstorey 05-06-2022 07:47 PM

It could use the yaw sensor with the wheel speed sensors.

InFiD3ViL 05-06-2022 08:52 PM

I have found that it can be a bit too aggressive on the downshifts sometimes. It's funny when it happens and you aren't expecting it. I rarely ever use it though, as I just use the paddles 100% of the time.

I wonder how well it works for road track usage - whether the algorithm is smart enough to keep it from actually becoming a hinderance. My god, I really wish the tech in the new 10 speed autos had matured sooner so we could have gotten it. The 6L80e is a good, solid trans that can take a ton of abuse, but smart and quick it is not.

SlingShot 05-06-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL (Post 11170907)
I have found that it can be a bit too aggressive on the downshifts sometimes. It's funny when it happens and you aren't expecting it.

My Sedan does the same thing on downshifts and upshifts, especially after getting an aggressive trans tune. The first time it happened, I got a message that popped up that said "Performance Shifting Active" and I said cool...

Nz2ssrs 05-06-2022 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 11170915)
My Sedan does the same thing on downshifts and upshifts, especially after getting an aggressive trans tune. The first time it happened, I got a message that popped up that said "Performance Shifting Active" and I said cool...

Where did you get the message of performance shifting active ?

I just can’t get it to go into this mode and the one time I did I didn’t see any message

Nz2ssrs 05-06-2022 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL (Post 11170907)
I have found that it can be a bit too aggressive on the downshifts sometimes. It's funny when it happens and you aren't expecting it. I rarely ever use it though, as I just use the paddles 100% of the time.

I wonder how well it works for road track usage - whether the algorithm is smart enough to keep it from actually becoming a hinderance. My god, I really wish the tech in the new 10 speed autos had matured sooner so we could have gotten it. The 6L80e is a good, solid trans that can take a ton of abuse, but smart and quick it is not.

What are you doing to get it to come on? Does it just drive normally in sport until you do something ? I screwed the shit out of it and couldn’t get it to kick in.

SlingShot 05-07-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nz2ssrs (Post 11170949)
Where did you get the message of performance shifting active ?

I just can’t get it to go into this mode and the one time I did I didn’t see any message

That wasn't on my Camaro, that was on my SS Sedan. It may be a Holden thing...