Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Flowmaster and muffler weep holes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60370)

Dynabyte 01-11-2010 10:52 PM

Flowmaster and muffler weep holes

Hey everyone - the Captain and diet's working on the brain so I figured I'd ask a question that's been bugging me. I installed a Flowmaster Axle-back system a couple of weeks ago. The factory mufflers have weep holes, and blackish water would drain out. I read here somewhere that the 3.6 LLT generates more water than other engines. The Flowmaster system does not have any holes for water to drain. Is this something I should be concerned about? Any problem with me drilling the mufflers (at the lowest point) with a 1/8" metal drill-bit? My commute is 5 miles each way so often the car doesn't warm up to the point that it evaporates typically. The last thing I want is my aftermarket exhaust causing some sort of problem with another component (even the engine) that's under warranty. Thoughts?

Xanthos 01-11-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynabyte (Post 1371417)
Hey everyone - the Captain and diet's working on the brain so I figured I'd ask a question that's been bugging me. I installed a Flowmaster Axle-back system a couple of weeks ago. The factory mufflers have weep holes, and blackish water would drain out. I read here somewhere that the 3.6 LLT generates more water than other engines. The Flowmaster system does not have any holes for water to drain. Is this something I should be concerned about? Any problem with me drilling the mufflers (at the lowest point) with a 1/8" metal drill-bit? My commute is 5 miles each way so often the car doesn't warm up to the point that it evaporates typically. The last thing I want is my aftermarket exhaust causing some sort of problem with another component (even the engine) that's under warranty. Thoughts?

I honestly don't think it would be a problem. The weep holes in the V6 exhaust are because of the way the muffler is setup. This isn't the best picture ever, but it'll show why the V6 muffler needs drain holes:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1260618597

Essentially the exhaust gasses enter the muffler through that pipe in the center and just fill the muffler box - this allows them to slow down considerably, acting as a resonator. However, the moisture in that exhaust gas cannot adequately vent once the car cools off - it will simply pool on the bottom of the muffler. Thus, drain holes. The flowmaster mufflers, however, do not have this large of an area that has no direct connection to the flow - the exhaust gasses should vent out, along with the moisture suspended in them, before the gases cool enough for the water to condense in significant quantities.

At least, this is the way I understand it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
- X

01pewterz28 01-12-2010 07:54 AM

Best bet call Flowmaster and ask them they will tell you.

Sean

rolnslo 01-12-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 (Post 1372092)
Best bet call Flowmaster and ask them they will tell you.

Sean

Chances are real good that Flowmaster will tell you that you don't need them or else they would have put them in for you.

I had Flowmaster mufflers (Hushpower II) on my '56 Chevy. Shortly after moving to my current home, the entire property flooded due to severely heavy rainfall and my poor '56 was caught with flood waters in the exhaust system. I hadn't had a chance to build a garage yet so the car was outside under a carport. Anyhow, I called Flowmaster to see what needed to be done and they said to just drill a 1/8" hole in the lowest point of the mufflers, let it drain and then get the holes welded shut. Obviously, they don't see a need for permanent drain holes like the ones that are on the stock Camaro mufflers.

Dynabyte 01-12-2010 03:28 PM

Thanks for all of the input everyone - I will probably send over an email to Flowmaster to ask them about it but my concerns have certainly been alleviated. This forum rocks!

hb35man 01-19-2010 07:37 PM

Thanks for pointing that out.I boght that system as well but haven't installed them yet.

faninc 02-14-2010 05:27 PM

Weep holes also appear to be on SS mufflers from LS3, not just Stock V6 mufflers?

I installed a pair of SS LS3 mufflers on my V6 and noticed some black marks on the bottom of muffler, upon further review, saw one tiny weep hole on the bottom of each stock LS3 muffler- anyone else notice this on their Ls3 mufflers?

best
J

01pewterz28 02-15-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faninc (Post 1482352)
Weep holes also appear to be on SS mufflers from LS3, not just Stock V6 mufflers?

I installed a pair of SS LS3 mufflers on my V6 and noticed some black marks on the bottom of muffler, upon further review, saw one tiny weep hole on the bottom of each stock LS3 muffler- anyone else notice this on their Ls3 mufflers?

best
J

Had the black marks on mine I notived them when I took them off

Sean

Iwantone2 02-15-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faninc (Post 1482352)

best
J

They were also on my L99 mufflers...

faninc 02-15-2010 03:14 PM

So I guess the conclusion is tiny weep hole are not just on the V6 but all Camaros.