CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Diff swap! (Installing an LSD manual trans differential into an Auto trans car) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490032)

Jason@JacFab 04-03-2017 10:04 AM

Diff swap! (Installing an LSD manual trans differential into an Auto trans car)

Well after several months of searching, I finally found myself a limited slip differential out of a manual transmission 2.0 car. Normally ~$1500-$1900 for just the diff and ~$400-600 for the axles at the dealership, I'm too cheap for that. I managed to score the differential w/ 12k miles on it and both axles for $595 shipped to my door.

Near as I can tell, GM make it easy for the 6th gen guys to do this swap. It requires less parts ($$) than the 5th gen v6 guys needed to swap out. As far as I can tell at this point based on diagrams and part numbers, the only things that are needed for certain is the differential, and the axles. I MAY (or may not) end up needing the manual transmission driveshaft, or maybe just the back half of it, but at this point, I won't be certain until I get the car ripped apart.

tsanchez18 04-03-2017 10:33 AM

:pop2:

Corner carver 04-04-2017 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 9651142)
Well after several months of searching, I finally found myself a limited slip differential out of a manual transmission 2.0 car. Normally ~$1500-$1900 for just the diff and ~$400-600 for the axles at the dealership, I'm too cheap for that. I managed to score the differential w/ 12k miles on it and both axles for $595 shipped to my door.

Near as I can tell, GM make it easy for the 6th gen guys to do this swap. It requires less parts ($$) than the 5th gen v6 guys needed to swap out. As far as I can tell at this point based on diagrams and part numbers, the only things that are needed for certain is the differential, and the axles. I MAY (or may not) end up needing the manual transmission driveshaft, or maybe just the back half of it, but at this point, I won't be certain until I get the car ripped apart.

If you have a line on a cheap M6 driveshaft and axles I'm in the hunt... Need them for the driveshaft shop...

Nate... 04-04-2017 08:32 AM

This is great! How did you get them? Wrecked car?

Jason@JacFab 04-04-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corner carver (Post 9652770)
If you have a line on a cheap M6 driveshaft and axles I'm in the hunt... Need them for the driveshaft shop...

Sorry, it's all going in my car lol I'll have some automatic stuff in the near future, but I don't think that will do you much good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate... (Post 9652981)
This is great! How did you get them? Wrecked car?

Yes, a car that was hit in the front end. It took some work. I found that while it should be easy for them, with computer technology and what not, a lot of the wrecking yards I called don't know what they have... I ended up having to get vin numbers for a bunch of cars, then calling the dealer parts center to have them check each vin to tell me which engine and transmission the cars had. I spent probably 2-3 hours making phone calls and literally only found ONE manual transmission 2.0/3.6 car (they share the same differential) in everything I found listed online in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate... 04-04-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 9653097)
Sorry, it's all going in my car lol I'll have some automatic stuff in the near future, but I don't think that will do you much good.

Yes, a car that was hit in the front end. It took some work. I found that while it should be easy for them, with computer technology and what not, a lot of the wrecking yards I called don't know what they have... I ended up having to get vin numbers for a bunch of cars, then calling the dealer parts center to have them check each vin to tell me which engine and transmission the cars had. I spent probably 2-3 hours making phone calls and literally only found ONE manual transmission 2.0/3.6 car (they share the same differential) in everything I found listed online in the country.

Man! What a process. I'm not shocked though. Most of those places are less than optimally organized.

Corner carver 04-04-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate... (Post 9653363)
Man! What a process. I'm not shocked though. Most of those places are less than optimally organized.

:word:

Jason@JacFab 04-05-2017 04:14 PM

Got tracking info, I wonder if they decided to give me some other random parts that may have been attached... The FedEx tracking page says the box weighs 142 lbs =:O

Hope it's packed well!

Michigan1LTRS 04-05-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 9656045)
Got tracking info, I wonder if they decided to give me some other random parts that may have been attached... The FedEx tracking page says the box weighs 142 lbs =:O

Hope it's packed well!

:popcorn:

Jason@JacFab 04-10-2017 05:33 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...73f02183c8.jpg

Parts showed up!

Corner carver 04-10-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 9665283)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...73f02183c8.jpg

Parts showed up!

Rear diff looks heavy...
So we have different diameter axles same as the V8, wonder why? Engineered fail point?

RedonBlackRS 04-10-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corner carver (Post 9665294)
Rear diff looks heavy...
So we have different diameter axles same as the V8, wonder why? Engineered fail point?

The longer one is thinner, so their masses stay roughly the same. The idea is to reduce wheelhop. At least that's how it was explained on the CTS-V.

Corner carver 04-10-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS (Post 9665400)
The longer one is thinner, so their masses stay roughly the same. The idea is to reduce wheelhop. At least that's how it was explained on the CTS-V.

Reduce wheel hop with just equalizing the weight?

Jason@JacFab 04-10-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS (Post 9665400)

Right. I seem to recall reading something that said if they were the same diameter once the wheel hop starts it will start it amplify itself, the different diameters will fight this.

The big axle feels like it's probably hollow.