CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   USA Today review (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427183)

E.T. 10-22-2015 09:42 AM

USA Today review

So the V6 as tested was $38K?:twitch: That's crazy. Also, I see they added cylinder deactivation. Another WTF? All I can say is, my 5th gen is in no danger of being sold. These prices are a bit ridiculous.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...pper/74362200/

ChefBorOzzy 10-22-2015 09:44 AM

That's pretty much what you can get an Ecoboost Mustang up to. I think MT's tester was 36-37k.. Just don't get all the freaking options?

Why is cylinder deactivation a "WTF"?

bdavies11 10-22-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy (Post 8696847)

He probably still thinks you can notice a delay when it switches from 4 to 6 on throttle application. :iono:

E.T. 10-22-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy (Post 8696847)
That's pretty much what you can get an Ecoboost Mustang up to. I think MT's tester was 36-37k.. Just don't get all the freaking options?

Maybe they've improved it, but I doubt it. It was dumb, dumb decision on the V8. The special lifters they use are known to fail, it sounded like crap with any aftermarket exhaust, and in the end, it didn't improve fuel economy anyway. With the V6, who wants to be driving around a 3-cylinder car? Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of AFM, at all. Who buys a sports car for good MPG?

SuperSound 10-22-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.T. (Post 8696861)
Maybe they've improved it, but I doubt it. It was dumb, dumb decision on the V8. The special lifters they use are known to fail, it sounded like crap with any aftermarket exhaust, and in the end, it didn't improve fuel economy anyway. With the V6, who wants to be driving around a 3-cylinder car? Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of AFM, at all. Who buys a sports car for good MPG?

Who buys a V6 sports car when they can buy a V8? The people who can't afford V8 gas mileage. So AFM is more at home on the V6 than anywhere else because a vast majority of people will be buying them because they can't afford the SS.

And AFM drops it from 6 to 4 cylinders. Not sure where the reviewer got 3 from. Also read the C7 forums about AFM. You will notice many of the problems in the L99 have been addressed in the LT1, including drone.

Curr 10-22-2015 10:06 AM

Another case of "I'll imagine all these bad things so in my mind my car is better"?

E.T. 10-22-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSound (Post 8696871)
Who buys a V6 sports car when they can buy a V8? The people who can't afford V8 gas mileage. So AFM is more at home on the V6 than anywhere else because a vast majority of people will be buying them because they can't afford the SS.

And AFM drops it from 6 to 4 cylinders. Not sure where the reviewer got 3 from. Also read the C7 forums about AFM. You will notice many of the problems in the L99 have been addressed in the LT1, including drone.

I guess, but I would never buy another sports car with this AFM crap on it. Imagine buying a brand new Stingray and then having to void the powertrain warranty by tuning out AFM. As far as affordability, I'm not sure if that's why everyone buys a 6 vs an 8. In some cases, yes. Anyway, I wouldn't call $38K cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curr (Post 8696895)
Another case of "I'll imagine all these bad things so in my mind my car is better"?

My car is better :) In all seriousness, though, not trying to start a C5 vs C6 war, but just saying, I'm glad I got in when I did with the 5th gen. If I had to buy a new Camaro today, I think I'd be looking at other cars in that price range like Audi, BMW, etc.

bhavyas 10-22-2015 10:38 AM

You cant make the V6 into a 3 cylinder engine... there will be too much imbalance within the engine.. Hence they decide to make 4 cylinder and cut off 2 cylinders.. On the SS the reason AFM was introduced was probably to avoid the gas guzzler tax...

Mr Snappy 10-22-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curr (Post 8696895)

Bingo

SuperSound 10-22-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.T. (Post 8696944)
I guess, but I would never buy another sports car with this AFM crap on it. Imagine buying a brand new Stingray and then having to void the powertrain warranty by tuning out AFM. As far as affordability, I'm not sure if that's why everyone buys a 6 vs an 8. In some cases, yes. Anyway, I wouldn't call $38K cheap.

My car is better :) In all seriousness, though, not trying to start a C5 vs C6 war, but just saying, I'm glad I got in when I did with the 5th gen. If I had to buy a new Camaro today, I think I'd be looking at other cars in that price range like Audi, BMW, etc.

Oh I agree. You can get a '16 1SS with NPP for that much which beats a similar priced '15 1LE in every performance metric and actually doesn't look like a 2008 Cobalt on the inside. $38k is also the MSRP which means it had every option available. How many people who look for a deal actually pay that much? You can load a 2015 2LT right now close to that but not have anywhere near the features of the 2016 at the same time. Once the hype wears off, the V6 cars will start having some good deals on them and people will be getting nicely equipped 2LTs for $30k.

And just for reference, my '14 328i MSRP was $50k. It is not even close in terms of features and tech as this 2LT tester has. Not to mention it out performs my 328i in every category except fuel economy. So I know I would never pick a similarly priced BMW or Audi over this 2LT.

Zack46 10-22-2015 10:53 AM

"The New Camaro is a Traffic Stopper"

-USA Today

Chevy deserves a slice of apple pie for hitting a homerun!!

DenverTaco07 10-22-2015 10:57 AM

Anybody watch The Big Bang Theory?

"Sheldon....GO AWAY!!"

Zack46 10-22-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSound (Post 8696971)
. Once the hype wears off, the V6 cars will start having some good deals on them and people will be getting nicely equipped 2LTs for $30k.

Getting nicely equipped 2LTs for $30k. :frown: :sad0147: :frown:

Good Luck with that, Bro.

SuperSound 10-22-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack46 (Post 8696993)
Getting nicely equipped 2LTs for $30k. :frown: :sad0147: :frown:

Good Luck with that, Bro.

I'm not talking about the loaded $38k one. But I think getting $4k off with incentives and dealing is definitely possible.