Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Border Crossing Camaro and the EPA (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370830)

CocoaKid 07-29-2014 12:06 AM

Border Crossing Camaro and the EPA

Hi, Im moving down to the U.S. from Canada in 3 weeks, I'm curious and after hours of scouring I can't seem to find anything solid. Does anyone know if a 2011 LS will automatically meet EPA standards to enter the U.S. ?

It's completely stock at this point minus 20" rims and aftermarket tires

Thank you!

rebelyell22 07-29-2014 01:39 AM

I would imagine so. I don't think there are any differences between US and CA cars

OUR72GTO 07-29-2014 02:40 AM

It was made to be exported there. The only difference is the headlight switch for DRL.

Ringo64 07-29-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelyell22 (Post 7851567)
I would imagine so. I don't think there are any differences between US and CA cars

:word:

If you had a European car and transporting it from Europe, I would be a little more concerned than CA to US.

What state are you moving to? Some don't even have inspections, like Florida, I see so many POS cars down here that shouldn't be on the road it's ridiculous. I think you'll be fine in a brand new Camaro.

CocoaKid 07-29-2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo64 (Post 7852248)
:word:

If you had a European car and transporting it from Europe, I would be a little more concerned than CA to US.

What state are you moving to? Some don't even have inspections, like Florida, I see so many POS cars down here that shouldn't be on the road it's ridiculous. I think you'll be fine in a brand new Camaro.

I'm heading to the warm winter state of North Dakota!

CocoaKid 07-29-2014 10:50 PM

Hello all! Ok, I've got it after literally all day talking with various GM employees (who were al quite helpful)

I had to talk to Vintage Vehicle Services, they have a special letter on the way basically stating the car is compliant with EPA & DOT standards - $101.xx

All I (well we) really need is 1. TPMS (I think they're stock anyways, if not I already have them)

2. Apparently the passenger side airbag DISPLAY symbol on the dash needs to be changed over to American spec...still waiting for total cost from the dealership in my area..>the lady at VVS said roughly $70 so Im expecting twice that after install lol!

Other than that these cars are good to go pretty much!

If anyone has questions, needs forms, phone numbers for this, etc..just PM me

Thank you!

rebelyell22 07-29-2014 11:58 PM

You going to UND?

homewrecker 07-30-2014 12:19 AM

The epa!!! I hope you didn't run into this guy.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/30/4y4ese3e.jpg

NFRNOSS 07-30-2014 12:49 AM

Why would you spend money on any of that?!? Are you concerned you won't be able to insure and register the car in North Dakota?

RobertRS 07-30-2014 01:18 AM

Shhhhhhh, don't let the feds know that Canada, Mexico, and the U.S are breathing the same air or they might have to call out for a high priced consultant firm and raise taxes even higher.

flyer08 07-30-2014 07:34 AM

Used to live in North Dakota til I moved to Florida two years ago. You should be fine. The inspections are not that thorough unless they recently changed

ytown87 07-30-2014 07:47 AM

If they ask....tell them all Camaros are assembled in Canada anyway.

abaucom21 07-30-2014 08:22 AM

I would wait until you are in the states to make any changes such as side airbag DISPLAY symbol. They don't inspect at the border. You will have time to make any changes and depending on who does the inspection to register the auto you might not have to make any changes.
I remember when I imported a Chrysler into Canada. Needed to have a rear seat baby seat connection. When I was having the auto inspected in Canada to get it registered, the guy pulled a $6 part and dropped in it the trunk. He told me the auto had to have the part, but government instructions did not say it had to be installed (LOL). So wait to get any modifications installed until you are in the US. Remember here in Canada GM charges a lot more then you will pay in the US.

CocoaKid 07-30-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRNOSS (Post 7854057)
Why would you spend money on any of that?!? Are you concerned you won't be able to insure and register the car in North Dakota?

I'm more concerned about actually getting my car across the border, on the day I actually arrive at the border lol. I really don't want to have to scramble and wait around.