CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Preview of the Gen-6 SS Engine? (http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283040)

LOWDOWN 03-15-2013 02:54 PM

Preview of the Gen-6 SS Engine?

With today's chat about an entry-level 5.3L Vette, does this news portend the base engine for the lighter Alpha-based Gen-6 Camaro SS? With a Gen-6 Camaro Z/28 housing the LT1?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2NXtkOnqh

Or, will it be the other way around?!

Stay tuned...

Mr. Wyndham 03-15-2013 05:28 PM

"Base", as in less expensive?

Is there any money to really be saved by building a smaller-displacement version of, technically, the same engine? They'll have many similar parts...

I maintain the base Corvette engine and the Camaro V8 will be the same, as it is now, and has been in the past. Easy, smart way to save $$ through economies of scale...and it sounds as though this sub-Stingray Corvette has been debunked by everyone except these sources who are only "familiar with the plans"...:iono:

If there's a super Z28 in the gen 6...my crystal ball bets are on it sharing an engine with the future Z06...

Bhobbs 03-15-2013 05:31 PM

"I would hate to dilute the reputation of the Corvette" is how a lot of owners would feel if the top tier Vette motors made their way into "lesser" cars, like a Z/28.

Forty5th 03-15-2013 06:06 PM

Agree with the Mr... 6th gen SS likely gets the new LT1 but w/ less power than a :stingray:

Mr Twisty 03-15-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6290959)
"I would hate to dilute the reputation of the Corvette" is how a lot of owners would feel if the top tier Vette motors made their way into "lesser" cars, like a Z/28.

I think the LS9 is the first motor in (the Camaro) history that didn't make it into a Camaro.

[edit] the 90's ZL1 had the LT5, that I know of, only one Camaro was built with that motor.

Anyways, it happened a lot more often than not.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 03-15-2013 06:20 PM

a 5.3L truck motor in a 'Vette. ew...

ok it might not be the actual truck motor, but seeing as GM has only used that 5.3L in trucks and FWD cars it will likely not be very accepted by the 'Vette crowd..

Wizard1183 03-15-2013 06:22 PM

With the SS having a 5.3L, it should be cheaper than an LS3 powered camaro, but ill bet it it'll cost at the very least, the same if not more.

Bhobbs 03-15-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Twisty (Post 6291146)
I think the LS9 is the first motor in (the Camaro) history that didn't make it into a Camaro.

[edit] the 90's ZL1 had the LT5, that I know of, only one Camaro was built with that motor.

Anyways, it happened a lot more often than not.

Don't forget the LS7, LS6, LT5 and LT4. There were aftermarket LT4 Camaros but I'm talking factory. The LT1, LS1 and LS3 are the Corvette engines that made it in and those were base Corvette engines.

PYROLYSIS 03-15-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6291181)
Don't forget the LS7, LS6, LT5 and LT4. There were aftermarket LT4 Camaros but I'm talking factory. The LT1, LS1 and LS3 are the Corvette engines that made it in and those were base Corvette engines.

There were factory LT4 Camaros. I've seen a 97 30th anniversary SS that had one online.

PYROLYSIS 03-15-2013 08:14 PM

^Did some more reading to brush up on my fourth gen history. There were 108 30th anniversary SS's built with an LT4. They were modified by SLP but were a factory option.

LOWDOWN 03-16-2013 12:47 PM

All this "5.3 truck engine" stuff does NOT translate to a direct drop-in in either the Vette or Camaro.

- Think "car cam, intake, exhaust and a-l-l the other improvements inherent in the Gen-5 SBC", going forward.

- Think "327 cu. in." which powered similarly-weighted (to the coming C-7 Vette) C-1/C2/C-3 Vettes right into our conscious "lust zones".

- Think roughly "current power-to-weight"...which should equal great performance combined with great mpg, a necessary component to any business case.

- Or...would you rather have a hair-dryed V6?!

"Cost of manufacture" seldom/never is a guarantee of "selling price". What IS a guarantee is, with mandated systems, necessary fuel economy regulations, and supposed weight decreases inherent in next-Gen vehicles partially due to more expensive high-tech materiale, the only way to keep MSRP under some constraint is to "give" on some things. A 35-3600 lb Gen-6 Camaro SS will NOT "need" 450+ hp. Under 400 will deliver performance a Gen-5 Camaro owner will be able to accept, and retain their perma-grin. Detuning a 6.2 to less than 400 is simply dumb (or directly using the dreaded TRUCK version!) and would not adequately address the mpg situation. A 5.3 will...

Or would y'all prefer a V6 SS instead?

Bhobbs 03-16-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 6291489)
^Did some more reading to brush up on my fourth gen history. There were 108 30th anniversary SS's built with an LT4. They were modified by SLP but were a factory option.

I understand that but what I'm saying is, in recent history, only base Corvette engines have made their way into a regular production Camaro model.

mikeSS 03-16-2013 04:32 PM

i heard a few weeks ago about this. i heard the 5.3L engine is less powerful than the Ls3. which is kind of sad...

meissen 03-16-2013 05:30 PM

I'm really surprised at the news about a "base" Corvette... My understanding was that they were calling the C7 the Stingray because they wanted everyone to feel like they were getting that "upgraded" model. If they wanted a base then they should have had just a Corvette, and then the Corvette Stingray as an upgraded model. Doesn't make sense and contradicts what they were saying when the C7 was unveiled.

The_Blur 03-16-2013 07:44 PM

I strongly doubt that this will happen.

PYROLYSIS 03-16-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 6294698)
I strongly doubt that this will happen.

The base Corvette or the 5.3L making its way into a 6th gen Camaro?

CAP'N B 03-16-2013 09:30 PM

Y'all talk about the 5.3 like it's a piece of trash but the COPO Camaro only comes with 2 engines, supercharged 5.3 and LS7. Don't forget about the ZL1 engines in the Camaro there were a few of them and I think the L88 427 made it into a few Camaro's also

Bhobbs 03-16-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAP'N B (Post 6295072)
Y'all talk about the 5.3 like it's a piece of trash but the COPO Camaro only comes with 2 engines, supercharged 5.3 and LS7. Don't forget about the ZL1 engines in the Camaro there were a few of them and I think the L88 427 made it into a few Camaro's also

COPO engines are a completely different animal than production motors.

gmen09 03-16-2013 11:13 PM

I think it might not be a bad idea, I mean it's a 327, depending on the internals a nice "smaller" displacement v8 that can rev might be something that hits market that the lt1 may miss.

NASTY99Z28 03-17-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeSS (Post 6294084)
i heard a few weeks ago about this. i heard the 5.3L engine is less powerful than the Ls3. which is kind of sad...

Really I think a 5.3 thats roughly 375hp is pretty impressive compared to the outgoing 5.3 and we all know how well they responded to mods so I would place judgement just yet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAP'N B (Post 6295072)

The 5.3 in the COPO is a lsx block that's a big bore/small stroke as where the truck 5.3 is a small bore/long strong and is limited to smaller valves.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6293431)
All this "5.3 truck engine" stuff does NOT translate to a direct drop-in in either the Vette or Camaro.

- Think "car cam, intake, exhaust and a-l-l the other improvements inherent in the Gen-5 SBC", going forward.

- Think "327 cu. in." which powered similarly-weighted (to the coming C-7 Vette) C-1/C2/C-3 Vettes right into our conscious "lust zones".

- Think roughly "current power-to-weight"...which should equal great performance combined with great mpg, a necessary component to any business case.

- Or...would you rather have a hair-dryed V6?!

"Cost of manufacture" seldom/never is a guarantee of "selling price". What IS a guarantee is, with mandated systems, necessary fuel economy regulations, and supposed weight decreases inherent in next-Gen vehicles partially due to more expensive high-tech materiale, the only way to keep MSRP under some constraint is to "give" on some things. A 35-3600 lb Gen-6 Camaro SS will NOT "need" 450+ hp. Under 400 will deliver performance a Gen-5 Camaro owner will be able to accept, and retain their perma-grin. Detuning a 6.2 to less than 400 is simply dumb (or directly using the dreaded TRUCK version!) and would not adequately address the mpg situation. A 5.3 will...

Or would y'all prefer a V6 SS instead?

I would rather have a 5.3 over a tt v6 soley based on the sound that comes with it in a car like the corvette but the car did start life with a inline 6 so a "tt blue flame 6" could be cool to. Also I think that the amount of vette drivers turned of by the "lesser" 5.3 v8 would pale in comparison to the people that could now afford a vette if it comes at a lower price point.:thumbsup:

redleader 03-17-2013 04:19 AM

I never understand why a 3.6 doesn't get near twice the MPG of a 6.2. Hopefully the new Gen will ?

toehead93 03-17-2013 11:06 AM

I think the 5.3 in the Camaro is the worst idea I have ever heard. A twin turbo V6 would be so much better, let the NA guys have the LT1 and give the FI guys a TT engine. Although Dodge did it successfully with the RT and SRT lineups. I guess it isnt the worse thing afterall but I still prefer a TT to mod the hell out of easily.

KMPrenger 03-17-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redleader (Post 6295817)
I never understand why a 3.6 doesn't get near twice the MPG of a 6.2. Hopefully the new Gen will ?

Are you serious?

There are 4 cylinder cars that don't get twice the highway mileage of the SS and especially the Vette. Gas mileage doesn't directly correlate to the size of the engine. If you feel it does you have much learning to do my friend.

As for the talk of this 5.3...I don't understand some of the comments here.

First off let me say that I'm not at all convinced the 5.3 will make its way into the Vette OR Camaro.

But lets say it does. Take a look at the Ford 5.0 V8. In truck form, the 2011 model made 360 HP, and that same year it made 412HP in the Mustang. So if Chevy does the same, I don't see why we couldn't have a 375 horse truck version and a 420HP version in the next gen Camaro. It uses much of the same direct injection tech that the current V6 uses, and the LT1 uses, and they both have nice flat wide torque curves....so I'm guessing the 5.3 does as well.

I'd love to see the LT1 in the next Camaro, but I have no doubts that a properly factory tuned 5.3 in the ligher next gen Camaro couldn't stomp on the current 6.2 in this gen.

redleader 03-17-2013 12:54 PM

I'm just niave :-(
Thanks for the Xtra info.

SROD 03-17-2013 01:24 PM

Cant wait to find out