Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Black Box Blues.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245400)

tonyko1 08-21-2012 06:28 PM

Black Box Blues....

Unless something happens to change...........new "black boxes" more ubiquitous than the one GM hooks up to know about your mods is on the way.

This black box will be required for all cars produced after 9/2012. This box will tell all about your travel history, how fast you go/went, where you went and what time.................

For those of you with the standard response "I don't care, I aint doing nothing wrong, let them check me out"...............consider the following......

1. Said box can regurgitate everything prior and to the time of an accident, including your speed and when you hit the brake.

2. It will so evolve that with GPS, it can track where you drive and when. So you will pay more for insurance for driving during rush hour. Or if you take an alternate route, a surcharge on surface roads outside your county will be extra.

3. Speeding any amount over the limit will trigger a ticket in the mail, 57 in a 55 on 8/24/12 at 9:24pm, remit $400.00 and your insurance co. already knows, no need to report it to them. We are cost-savings everyday!

4. Driving over a roadway with a designated weight limit. Your 3500lb Camaro ran over an in-road weight scale and either your 500lb girlfriend or 3 of your friends exceeded normal usage, $5.95 was automatically deducted from your checking account for your convenience....

5. If you disable your black box, you can't register your car and get new tags, and if you do after, the tags will be suspended, done within the police data base for your convenience.

OnStar is but the start, once it starts, it is the classic "slippery slope". Call me what you want and I hope to be wrong, but time will tell.

Technology can be great or not, depends on how you look at it.

I can't wait to see the responses that follow.

Peace out.

:popcorn:

caliguy 08-21-2012 06:31 PM

Nice, now they'll know when i pull over to take a leak, and notice few less ounces of weight of car :sm0:

awfarley 08-21-2012 06:32 PM

Related link to article?

DCC1464 08-21-2012 06:32 PM

:fbodgoul1:

Revenant 08-21-2012 06:32 PM

LOL glad I got my SS in 2011!

REDXIIIDave 08-21-2012 06:35 PM

I call :bs:

babytiger 08-21-2012 06:38 PM

Actually, those have been on cars for years. I worked at a Chevy dealer years ago and insurance came in to investigate and accident. They were able to find all sorts of info out, speed, turn signal on or off, brake pedal pressed etc. And years before that working at a Nissan dealer a kid came in and said his check engine light came on when he was 'sitting at a light'. His mother called to complain about how a new car shouldn't be doing this blah blah blah..... we ran the scanner and informed her that her son's check engine light came on when he was doing 115 mph..........crickets......
So THAT technology isn't new.

fastball 08-21-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyko1 (Post 5474597)
Unless something happens to change...........new "black boxes" more ubiquitous than the one GM hooks up to know about your mods is on the way.

This black box will be required for all cars produced after 9/2012. This box will tell all about your travel history, how fast you go/went, where you went and what time.................

For those of you with the standard response "I don't care, I aint doing nothing wrong, let them check me out"...............consider the following......

1. Said box can regurgitate everything prior and to the time of an accident, including your speed and when you hit the brake.

2. It will so evolve that with GPS, it can track where you drive and when. So you will pay more for insurance for driving during rush hour. Or if you take an alternate route, a surcharge on surface roads outside your county will be extra.

3. Speeding any amount over the limit will trigger a ticket in the mail, 57 in a 55 on 8/24/12 at 9:24pm, remit $400.00 and your insurance co. already knows, no need to report it to them. We are cost-savings everyday!

4. Driving over a roadway with a designated weight limit. Your 3500lb Camaro ran over an in-road weight scale and either your 500lb girlfriend or 3 of your friends exceeded normal usage, $5.95 was automatically deducted from your checking account for your convenience....

5. If you disable your black box, you can't register your car and get new tags, and if you do after, the tags will be suspended, done within the police data base for your convenience.

OnStar is but the start, once it starts, it is the classic "slippery slope". Call me what you want and I hope to be wrong, but time will tell.

Technology can be great or not, depends on how you look at it.

I can't wait to see the responses that follow.

Peace out.

:popcorn:

Do you have a source for this information?

Ever thought about how much memory this black box would need if it kept your car's entire lifetime operational history? Black boxes run on a (at most) 30 second continuous loop.... meaning only up to the last 30 seconds of the car's operational statistics are stored in memory.

You make it sound like the new box will have a lifetime history stored on there. There'd have to be a limit..... no way would there be enough memory to store 200,000+ miles and 10+ years worth of data on it!

Also, disabling anything on a car that does not have to do with the basic DOT requirements for headlamp/tail lamp indicators and federal emission regulations is not illegal. A state DMV will not refuse to renew your tags if you've "disabled your black box".... there is no state in the union that has such jargon written into their license laws.

Are you sure you weren't drunk when you posted this?

Interlux 08-21-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave (Post 5474628)
I call :bs:

I agree - We are a decent way away from this.

"3. Speeding any amount over the limit will trigger a ticket in the mail, 57 in a 55 on 8/24/12 at 9:24pm, remit $400.00 and your insurance co. already knows, no need to report it to them. We are cost-savings everyday!"

This will just bring up the same old argument about not being able to face your accuser - the same as red light cameras.

Many red light cameras have had to be removed because it is the company that owns them / installs them issuing tickets and not a police officer. Will GM be the ones acquiring and sending this information to the local police station in your area?

The recording of information has been around for a while - just some issues with how it's used in your proposed examples I think

babytiger 08-21-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interlux (Post 5474647)
I agree - We are a decent way away from this.

"3. Speeding any amount over the limit will trigger a ticket in the mail, 57 in a 55 on 8/24/12 at 9:24pm, remit $400.00 and your insurance co. already knows, no need to report it to them. We are cost-savings everyday!"

This will just bring up the same old argument about not being able to face your accuser - the same as red light cameras.

Many red light cameras have had to be removed because it is the company that owns them / installs them issuing tickets and not a police officer. Will GM be the ones acquiring and sending this information to the local police station in your area?

The recording of information has been around for a while - just some issues with how it's used in your proposed examples I think

this

Angrybird 12 08-21-2012 06:49 PM

I think someone needs a chill pill stop being so paranoid. Not only could the information be used to convict you but to exonerate you of any wrong doing on your part. The only ones scared of this technology are the ones doing something that they are worried about getting caught doing. It works both ways.

Ryanbabz71 08-21-2012 06:51 PM

Sale on tin foil hats in aisle 15

Ryan

Revenant 08-21-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 (Post 5474695)
Sale on tin foil hats in aisle 15

Ryan

^LOL! *runs and buys 10*

Cam2011 08-21-2012 07:16 PM

Source? On the other hand careful driver will receive a discount automatically from their insurance. See, it cuts both ways.