Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Challenger SRT8 or Camaro 2SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143784)

rberns 04-27-2011 06:08 AM

Challenger SRT8 or Camaro 2SS

At this point I have really been wanting to get a 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS, but I have gotten the chance to drive a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8. The challenger is a lot of fun and I am sure the camaro is too. I have heard a lot of complaints about the AFM, which is kind of leading me away from the camaro now. Anybody else have pros or cons for deciding which car to get?

Hoss 04-27-2011 06:56 AM

Sorry but what is AFM?

CAPT D 04-27-2011 06:56 AM

Get a Manual and you dont have to worry about the AFM, I cant comment on the Challenger but i can say i love my Camaro and if you get one you wont be disapointed.

Scrappy Doo 04-27-2011 06:57 AM

They are both nice cars. Get what you want.

CAPT D 04-27-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 3148126)
Sorry but what is AFM?

Its the Active Fuel Managment, its on the slushbox Camaro's

Zeus95 04-27-2011 07:00 AM

I like them both, but I think you get more bang for your buck with the Camaro. But you have to drive it everyday. Good luck !!

kennyo 04-27-2011 07:03 AM

Are you sure the new challengers dont have AFM? My 06 dodge charger had it.I was looking at the new srt-8's also before I bought my camaro.The price tag scared me away.Having said that,there is a lot more room in the dodge than the camaro.It is like getting into a capsule,after the charger experience.

clg_98ta 04-27-2011 07:03 AM

Why ask us? You've driven the Challenger, now go drive the Camaro and decide for yourself.

I assume that you've decided on an automatic transmission... some people complain that they hear the cylinder deactivation and reactivation from the AFM. Most don't hear it or don't mind it. But, again, you just need to drive it.

You have the option of removing the AFM (via computer program modification) - however this will void your 5-yr powertrain warranty.

You should also drive the manual... its really a blast...

rberns 04-27-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Sorry but what is AFM?

As CAPT D has said it is Active Fuel Management. Owners of Camaros with automatic transmission can feel the when the engine goes from running on 4 cylinders to running on 8 cylinders. From my understanding, this also creates a lag from the time you stomp on the gas till the time gets up and goes. I am not good with manuals, so that option is out the door.

Scrappy Doo 04-27-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rberns (Post 3148155)
As CAPT D has said it is Active Fuel Management. Owners of Camaros with automatic transmission can feel the when the engine goes from running on 4 cylinders to running on 8 cylinders. From my understanding, this also creates a lag from the time you stomp on the gas till the time gets up and goes. I am not good with manuals, so that option is out the door.

I don't notice any lag issues........

OP just go drive one. it's pretty easy to make up your mind then.

champ22 04-27-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Sorry but what is AFM?

The only reason he said this was because he has the LS3. It's wasn't that he doesn't know what it is, he was being sarcastic. The LS3 doesn't have AFM, the L99 does.

DevilsReject97 04-27-2011 08:08 AM

All of the standard Hemi's in Chrysler's lineup have MDS, which is Chrysler's version of AFM...

The SRT-8's with the 6.1 do not have it, however the new 2011 6.4 with the automatic DOES have it...

Hoss 04-27-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champ22 (Post 3148169)
The only reason he said this was because he has the LS3. It's wasn't that he doesn't know what it is, he was being sarcastic. The LS3 doesn't have AFM, the L99 does.

I make you think this? LOL! I don't drive a friends automatic (L-99) very much and don't retain abbreviations for his automatic transmission. His auto drives great. I am happy with my LS-3 (manual 6 speed).

Rberns.....go drive everything that you can. Most of us here on the Forum will probably recommend The Camaro SS but there are 6 cylinder models too (LT). I think you can keep money in the bank and still have the sweetest performance cars available. Go make yourself happy!

Jose 04-27-2011 08:14 AM

Before purchasing my Camaro, I took a couple of days and tested Mustags, Challenger, Charge, and the Camaro. Believe me after trying all of them I went back direct to the Camaro and closed the deal, I can go test them all again and go back to my Camaro AGAIN!!!! Why? you may ask, well I can write a whole page of that.