CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   My Design Idea for the 2016 Camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310821)

classicrockr 08-20-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnyG (Post 6853802)

Oh HE!! yes...that is absolutely sinister looking - I'd even give up the 'vert for that!

ssrs396 08-20-2013 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6918033)
This one is for you...raising the side detail that high really eats up the side of the car lol...I don't know... what do you think? I also made the fog lights white which it looked like you preferred. I stuck with my strobe side marker light idea to see if it works with your idea. The 3 light segments compliment the 3 side vents. I'm still not sold on fender flares; so far I like the idea of going with a clean pure side without even a fender lip because EVERYBODY else is doing fender flare bulges. You can't differentiate yourself from the competition unless you do something different than what they're doing. :)
Attachment 548121

I completely agree with what you are saying in a clean design. I think of the Ferrari GTO 288 and how the whole fender is the flare and yet still clean. But to go with that I like some visual excitement on the side. I like your picture but it might be too much for a camaro. I like the round wheel well instead of the squared off, and maybe a rounder quarter panel like ALLTRBO posted. Instead of the light bars in the grill maybe a smaller 3-panel light to go with your side markers, I don't know. Anyway keep up the good work !!

silverds 08-20-2013 08:24 AM

This news is from March so it may be outdated by now but at least we have a statement.

Quote:

Perhaps his most telling comment, Oppenheiser hints that the styling update is likely to be evolution and not revolution. “We always have to stay fresh and ahead.” Still, he says, “we do not want to lose the fact that we have nearly 40 percent of the market.”
Ref. 2016 Camaro May Shed Weight, Get Downsized Engines Hints Chief Engineer

This leads me to believe that GM plans to simply (or not so simply) evolve the styling of the 5th Gen, rather than create a new design. Does the C7 Corvette foretell what GM's interpretation of "evolve" means?

ALLTRBO 08-20-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverds (Post 6918675)
Does the C7 Corvette foretell what GM's interpretation of "evolve" means?

Yes.

Doc 08-20-2013 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrs396 (Post 6918636)
I completely agree with what you are saying in a clean design. I think of the Ferrari GTO 288 and how the whole fender is the flare and yet still clean. But to go with that I like some visual excitement on the side. I like your picture but it might be too much for a camaro. I like the round wheel well instead of the squared off, and maybe a rounder quarter panel like ALLTRBO posted. Instead of the light bars in the grill maybe a smaller 3-panel light to go with your side markers, I don't know. Anyway keep up the good work !!

That design is like what, 30 years old? And it's STILL beautiful. That's the kind of effect I want the Camaro to have; timelessly beautiful. I'm playing with some variations including as clean a NASA style design as I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverds (Post 6918675)
This news is from March so it may be outdated by now but at least we have a statement.

Ref. 2016 Camaro May Shed Weight, Get Downsized Engines Hints Chief Engineer

This leads me to believe that GM plans to simply (or not so simply) evolve the styling of the 5th Gen, rather than create a new design. Does the C7 Corvette foretell what GM's interpretation of "evolve" means?

That makes sense. They don't want to (and shouldn't) alienate people by making the Camaro look like a comic book gangster car which is what some seem to want. It would sell to a small segment of teenage and young 20-something boys but they'd lose their female customers, and just about everybody over 30 which is a huge base of customers. Not a smart business move.

I'm going back to clean and basic to refresh my brain so I can start with a clean slate in my mind. I realized I didn't like the wheel design so I came up with a more industrial design that's a no-nonsense no-bling look and you can see that on the side view. I'll do a perspective view of it but I like this much better; gives the car a more race-like view I think. I know it's not a 5-spoke but screw it; I like the 6-spoke here better, gives it a more up-to-date look to me.

I cleaned up the side marker lights with a simpler design, went with a stylized rectangle for the front turn signal lights in the grill area. Moved the dark gray line around the bottom upwards a bit and made the gray rocker panels taller; thins the upper body and gives the lower panel a stronger look. I think when I do the new wheel design in perspective it will give the perspective view a much more serious performance look.
Attachment 548241

Doc 08-20-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLTRBO (Post 6918075)
While I did calm the flare some, that isn't what I meant. However, a matching front is desperately needed.
This might better illustrate what I'm talking about. It's still subtle and flows smoothly with the rest, but gives it a more aggressive stance:

This is interesting; I'll have to play with it.

RedVictory 08-20-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6876837)
Another update with the wheels this time.
Attachment 543571

Mad skills bro. I dig this one ^

Doc 08-20-2013 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting down to cleaner and simpler. Got the perspective views of the new wheels done. For these two I actually lowered the top rear fender to smooth out the transition from front to back; going for the NASA/fighter jet look. On view D1 I put the arch back in the rear wheel well and moved up the side marker lights, CAMARO and red accent line appropriately. I also took out the front running light bars in the grill and made them round.

For view D2 it still has the previous version of the side except that I lowered the top rear fender like view D1. I experimented with some different elements in the front; I kept the stylized running lights in the upper grill but took out the bar lights in the brake cooling ducts and made the fog lights yellow.

Right now I'm kinda liking the front of D2 but with the rear wheel well and side of D1. The side of D1 has a heftier look to it.

Attachment 548300

ALLTRBO 08-20-2013 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You really like thirdgens, don't you? :D

KMPrenger 08-20-2013 06:10 PM

Not sure what it is, but the doors look very short horizontally. Compare those to what is on the current car and they don't seem nearly long enough for a coupe.

I think you've got an attractive design here. I really do like it. It looks better from the side than I thought it would. I actually prefer the side view over the front 3/4 view.

But for me, the final design would have to come with more curves, more edges, more to look at. Its good, but so far not getting my blood pumping.

Even though I just said above that I do like the side view, I'm also worried that the newest profile with the raised belt line in the front may be straying too far away from what I feel the Camaro heritage is. Its attractive, but doesn't say Camaro to me.

I will continue to follow this just to see where it goes :)

ssrs396 08-20-2013 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope you don't mind my tinkering with your designs, but they are like canvas and I just cant help myself...lol!

Angrybird 12 08-20-2013 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6920932)
Not sure what it is, but the doors look very short horizontally. Compare those to what is on the current car and they don't seem nearly long enough for a coupe.

I think because the front edge of the door is behind the side mirror instead of in front of it like it should be.

Doc 08-20-2013 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Based on feedback here's the latest. The side view and D1 are the same setup. D3 has the fender flares and raised rear fender hip as requested.

I gave the D1 views bronze colored wheels which I think helps warm up the look of the car. I put the traditional 3 vents on the side in front of the rear wheel. I also move the front door line forward as requested to lengthen the door.

Attachment 548427

I've struggled like crazy with the roof line on the side view. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to move a line just a slight bit and suddenly you've gone from a Camaro to a Mustang fastback. I'm not entirely happy with the location and side-view profile of the cabin. I've moved it forward, backward, up, down and I still can't find that sweet spot where it looks "right". But hey... it's a work in progress. :)

Doc 08-20-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrs396 (Post 6921174)
I hope you don't mind my tinkering with your designs, but they are like canvas and I just cant help myself...lol!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6921208)
I think because the front edge of the door is behind the side mirror instead of in front of it like it should be.

It's great to see the participation and that people care! Inspiration is what this whole thread is supposed to be about. :thumbup:

Because the window edge at the front of the door is so low I made a conscious decision to put the outside mirrors on the fender in front of the door. That may or may not work with the driver view inside the car but that's easily changed and they can be on the door too. I was even thinking of moving them forward onto the fender above the wheel like a race car but since that would be really cool looking it's probably not legal lol.