CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   My Design Idea for the 2016 Camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310821)

FenwickHockey65 08-05-2013 10:20 PM

It is a unique spoiler but not sure how great the aero benefits will be.

Also, just another nitpicky thing if you're trying to get a production look. Most Chevrolets have five spoke wheels. It's a dumb standard that was established forever and a year ago but it's one thing GM has held on to until today for most Chevrolets.

*007 08-05-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6859155)
Here's a quick revision with a re-proportioned side view, revised front and back going with the traditional round lighting.
Attachment 541330

I'm working on a more futuristic side view and will hopefully have something to post up later tonight when I get home from work.

Can u say. Mitsubishi Eclipse? Used and worn out!

tramtwo 08-05-2013 10:43 PM

Great effort Doc, way to man up and subject yourself to criticism. Refreshing. So tired of the complaining membership... this thread is what is best about this forum!

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Doc 08-05-2013 10:57 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6862272)
Looking good.

Not sure if you removed them on purpose, but you lost the hard lines in the rear from your last image that I thought was cool. Something about the rear end just looks a bit bland to me....not the blackened area or the lights, but the white area. I just feel like something small, but noticeable should be there to break that up.

In the front, I'm thinking if you widened the raised part of the bottom of the upper grill it may look a bit better.

Funny thing is, is that the basic shape of that grill opening would be very close to the 2014 which I don't care for. Actually, its not the shape of the 2014 front opening I don't like...its what they did with the headlights and grille inside of it. Not to mention I don't care for the new fog lights or the housings either.

Oh yeah, forgot to put that back. I noticed I also forgot to put the side marker light on the passenger side too. The raised part of the bottom of the upper grill is proportioned to flow upwards from the width of the lower cutout, and those two shapes together are reverse mirror shapes of the hood bulge. I know what you mean lol, when I was doing it I thought the same thing "this is kinda sorta like the refresh" except what I did is far more stylish and has curves to it. The refresh front has a flattened horizontal kind of look to it which is okay, but not very dynamic or emotional; it's just kind of "there". Compare the 3 fronts; the 2013 1LE, the 2014 refresh, and what I'm working on.
Attachment 541750Attachment 541751Attachment 541754

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6862285)
Might just be artistic license you took, but the front Chevrolet badge needs to be much more prominent if you're trying to achieve a production look.

Yeah I stuck that in there because I realize if this is going to be produced there needs to be a logo for non SS or RS cars. I actually like the SS in the center better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 6862336)
As far as Doc's design I really like the spoiler that looks like it is missing a piece in the middle. I can't think of a car that has one like that and it fits with the rest of the design.

I thought that was a nice variation. It's a duck tail flare that gives a hint of spoiler for cars that don't have one. I'll probably work up a spoiler of some kind that can work with that flare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by *007 (Post 6862381)
Can u say. Mitsubishi Eclipse? Used and worn out!

You have to be joking, right? Now see what happens when you smoke crack and post on a forum? You can get bizarre side-effects... like comparing my design to an Eclipse.
Attachment 541747Attachment 541748Attachment 541749

Doc 08-06-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6862372)
It is a unique spoiler but not sure how great the aero benefits will be.

Probably minimal but it would be interesting to see what the effect would be in a wind tunnel.

Quote:

Also, just another nitpicky thing if you're trying to get a production look. Most Chevrolets have five spoke wheels. It's a dumb standard that was established forever and a year ago but it's one thing GM has held on to until today for most Chevrolets.
Really?? I didn't know that... and you're right, it's dumb. Why limit yourself when other designs might better lend themselves to an individual car style? Oh well... anyways I'll work on a 5 spoke version then.

Wizard1183 08-06-2013 05:40 AM

The front end is now on the right track. Looking good! I still think the lower grille needs to be larger and maybe circle blinkers in the grille rather than square.

FenwickHockey65 08-06-2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6862699)
Probably minimal but it would be interesting to see what the effect would be in a wind tunnel.

Really?? I didn't know that... and you're right, it's dumb. Why limit yourself when other designs might better lend themselves to an individual car style? Oh well... anyways I'll work on a 5 spoke version then.

It's one of those things you hear about and wonder, "Really? This is what you guys are worrying about?! :facepalm:" :laugh:

Bob Lutz detailed that and a lot of other stupid standards GM clung to before bankruptcy in his last book.

DRKS1D3 08-06-2013 06:51 AM

Hey Doc, your latest versions look great. The front and rear look sharp. The side view; however, leaves something to be desired. To me, it looks Plain Jane. The 5th Gen looks fast sitting still, your side view looks very ordinary. I'm not quite sure what to recommend though. Good job! :clap: My favorite is still KMPrenger's pic from page 1.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...CamaroBack.jpg

Doc 08-06-2013 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 6862920)
The front end is now on the right track. Looking good! I still think the lower grille needs to be larger and maybe circle blinkers in the grille rather than square.

Here ya go. Circle turn signals in front and the lower grill area is wider and a bit taller.
Attachment 541849

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 (Post 6863001)
Hey Doc, your latest versions look great. The front and rear look sharp. The side view; however, leaves something to be desired. To me, it looks Plain Jane. The 5th Gen looks fast sitting still, your side view looks very ordinary. I'm not quite sure what to recommend though. Good job! :clap: My favorite is still KMPrenger's pic from page 1.

To be honest I don't really like that. To me it looks like a snow plow in reverse and a bit too cartoonish. However I hear you on the side view. I kept my design traditional along the lines of the 67-69 profile. One of the things I've been interested to find out is how far are people willing to go with a more futuristic shape and still accept it as a Camaro? It seems like the current version of my front and rear design is being fairly well received so I'll work on a less-conservative side view now.

KMPrenger 08-06-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6862699)

I didn't say anything about the wheels because I just figured it was some general wheel you just threw on the car and it wasn't important in the overal design.

That said, we all know what the right set of wheels can do to completely change the look of the car.

If you want to place a good looking GM wheel on that rendering here is my recommendation. Photoshop some silver 10 spoke ZL1 wheels (SSX style) on there or throw the 2013 new style SS 20" wheels on there. No need to come up with a completely new 5 spoke design....I don't think its imporant enough to warrant stressing over a wheel design for this task.

Just my .02!

I for one have always loved a good 5 spoke wheel (or dual 5 spoke) and always will! I'm glad GM likes to use them!

Wizard1183 08-06-2013 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=Doc;6863459]Here ya go. Circle turn signals in front and the lower grill area is wider and a bit taller.
Attachment 541849

QUOTE]
Looks pretty good. I dont know if the circle blinker are a little too big though? I dont know? Im wondering what the lower grille looked like if you brought up even more? It seems like the front is missing something. Like theres too much bumper space and not enough accent. The license plate, could it be possible to raise it towards the middle bumper lip and then bring the lower grille even more towards the hood? I know, Im being picky as shit. lol Im just trying to come up with ideas to enhance your look and have it differentiate a little more.

Wizard1183 08-06-2013 12:53 PM

I guess this is something along the lines? Not perfect and not saying this is better than yours, I'm just experimenting with somethign along the lines partial to 1970 since your rear end went that way and its really great. The lower facia of this has characteristics of 1970 in it. The lower lamps, I dont know if those really go with it, but it was to change them enough so that the lower grille fit somewhat. I did this in Paint, so its not to scale by any means.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...2f20front2.jpg

Doc 08-06-2013 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Wizard1183;6863965]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6863459)
Here ya go. Circle turn signals in front and the lower grill area is wider and a bit taller.
Attachment 541849

QUOTE]
Looks pretty good. I dont know if the circle blinker are a little too big though? I dont know? Im wondering what the lower grille looked like if you brought up even more? It seems like the front is missing something. Like theres too much bumper space and not enough accent. The license plate, could it be possible to raise it towards the middle bumper lip and then bring the lower grille even more towards the hood? I know, Im being picky as shit. lol Im just trying to come up with ideas to enhance your look and have it differentiate a little more.

Here it is with smaller turn signals moved a bit more toward the center, and with the license plate moved up and lower grill cutout widened and moved up more. Keep in mind your eye is down near the license plate level so this is a perspective you'd never really be looking at the car with normally. If you were standing up and looking down the car would look a bit different. I wish I could put this design into a 3d program and do some perspective renderings.
Attachment 541949

Wizard1183 08-06-2013 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=Doc;6864270]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 6863965)

Here it is with smaller turn signals moved a bit more toward the center, and with the license plate moved up and lower grill cutout widened and moved up more. Keep in mind your eye is down near the license plate level so this is a perspective you'd never really be looking at the car with normally. If you were standing up and looking down the car would look a bit different. I wish I could put this design into a 3d program and do some perspective renderings.
Attachment 541949

Not bad! You're right, I forgot about the perspective that eye view was at the license plate. It looks great! I was simply trying to incorporate something of 1970 to the front yet keeping the 67-69 look going as well. :headbang:

KMPrenger 08-06-2013 03:51 PM

I really like it. The front end is coming together great. I have a few ideas for it, but can't really do anything with them while I'm at work.

The round head lights and blinker look alright to me, but I still think I'd like to see other design options there just for options sake.....but no worries. Continue on.

Doc 08-07-2013 10:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay I accidentally posted this in another thread...so I'll put the revision here where it was supposed to be lol. Upper view is with a newly revised side profile; quite a bit was changed including fender lines and windows. The upper view is with the fender well extensions; lower view is without and larger wheels. I've also done the wheels in the 5-spoke that Fen referred to.
Attachment 542471

I'm also working on a perspective view which is almost done. I still haven't put any radiator or frame detail in the front but you can see here how the front lower grill cutout works. Now that I've drawn it I think it might be better to do the body without the front lower spoiler and add that feature as an aero kit. I don't know...what do you guys think?
Attachment 542472

f5journal 08-07-2013 11:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Doc...great skills and many good design elements. However, I actually see design regression. The are too many 1990's elements to your product. As Fenwickhockey said, you need to capture design cues from the past, not retro design.

The George Loizou design moves forward to some degree, but not far enough

I post these pictures to illustrate my point

f5journal 08-07-2013 11:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think at a minimum you should take something that is a bit radical like the Genesis and work on it to add the Camaro styling cues and go from there.

Example

f5journal 08-07-2013 12:00 PM

Doc...I hope you take this as constructive opinion

Doc 08-07-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5journal (Post 6868618)
Doc...great skills and many good design elements. However, I actually see design regression. The are too many 1990's elements to your product. As Fenwickhockey said, you need to capture design cues from the past, not retro design.

The George Loizou design moves forward to some degree, but not far enough

I post these pictures to illustrate my point

How else do you capture design cues except by using some of those elements? I mean I can design something completely different but then would it look and feel like a Camaro? The 5th gen was such a success precisely because it kept that look and feel of the 67-69 retro style. I don't think people want to completely abandon that in the next generation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5journal (Post 6868722)
I think at a minimum you should take something that is a bit radical like the Genesis and work on it to add the Camaro styling cues and go from there.

Example

If you look at what you drew in blue and look at the most recent side profile I uploaded, that's pretty much exactly what I actually did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5journal (Post 6868775)
Doc...I hope you take this as constructive opinion

I do in fact take it all as constructive feedback, and thank you for taking the time to do that. My goal with this design is to do something clean, elegant, classy and a bit more modern than the 5th gen or previous generations. If you look at the 1970 model it went to a more sophisticated European style look. It was quite controversial at the time; the purists complained loudly. However I thought it was a beautiful design. The 1970 SS350 with the chrome bumper that went all the way across in the front was a gorgeous car... and fast too.

I'm deliberately trying to avoid trendy gimmicks but at the same time incorporate style elements that people recognize as belonging to a Camaro. I want the car to have class. It's turning out to be more of an evolution of the 5th gen. I have to be careful though because I've literally spent hours playing around with the shape and it's real easy to walk across the line and start looking like a vette, or go too low profile and now it starts looking like a Maserati, Ferrari or Lambo.

This is not an easy task by any means because the Camaro evokes such incredible emotions and passion in people. When you mess with it they take it personally. I've discovered there are 2 rules to changing the Camaro design. Rule #1: You can't please everybody. Rule #2: If you think you have a really great design, see rule #1.

f5journal 08-08-2013 09:59 AM

Thanks for answering back. The more I think about this project of your, the more difficult I realize it is. Both for you and GM

There is a certain element of following recent trends that has to be taken into account to appear "fresh". But at the same time you have to be different. Radical different could implode.

If you look at styling over the years for any brand of auto...there was always development in a "direction" and "look" for say each decade.

Right now, chrome is coming back, heavy side sculpturing is coming back and sharp angularity is in vogue (see the Genesis pic and new Corvette and gill work on new SS)

I applaude your efforts

Wizard1183 08-08-2013 10:13 AM

Doc, I think you should add a grille the the opening on the loweer fascia. perhaps have it come to a point in the center? And see hw that works. I dont think it'd be too good to just keep the opening as you kind of need protection for the radiator and what not ya know? And maybe ass a small splitter on the bottom to add a little depth?

Doc 08-08-2013 10:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by f5journal (Post 6873068)
Thanks for answering back. The more I think about this project of your, the more difficult I realize it is. Both for you and GM

There is a certain element of following recent trends that has to be taken into account to appear "fresh". But at the same time you have to be different. Radical different could implode.

If you look at styling over the years for any brand of auto...there was always development in a "direction" and "look" for say each decade.

Right now, chrome is coming back, heavy side sculpturing is coming back and sharp angularity is in vogue (see the Genesis pic and new Corvette and gill work on new SS)

I applaude your efforts

You're more than welcome and thank you for participating! It's an interesting exercise isn't it? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 6873123)
Doc, I think you should add a grille the the opening on the loweer fascia. perhaps have it come to a point in the center? And see hw that works. I dont think it'd be too good to just keep the opening as you kind of need protection for the radiator and what not ya know? And maybe ass a small splitter on the bottom to add a little depth?

I've been thinking about that actually. I was thinking maybe a black mesh grille of some kind in front of the radiator but under/behind the body work so I could keep that opening. I'll play with a few ideas there and see how it looks.

At any rate here's the latest versions/revisions for the front, side and perspective views. These are without the wheel well extensions. The side view has more flow to the fender lines and overall less chunky looking. I dropped the entire upper half a bit above the side line to give the whole car more of a low profile look.
Attachment 543162
Attachment 543163

silverds 08-08-2013 11:06 AM

That is great work....More than most of us can achieve, but it's hard to not favor these more modern designs. They just look like a more viable evolution of the icon. Your design reminds me of an Australian (Holden) sibling to a 2003-2009 Camaro-like car. Then again, it just may be a limitation in the tool you are using to render. We may just be missing the finer details that these other renders can portray.

Here's another angle of the alternate design.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...FrontAngle.jpg

Wizard1183 08-08-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverds (Post 6873302)
That is great work....More than most of us can achieve, but it's hard to not favor these more modern designs. They just look like a more viable evolution of the icon. Your design reminds me of an Australian (Holden) sibling to a 2003-2009 Camaro-like car. Then again, it just may be a limitation in the tool you are using to render. We may just be missing the finer details that these other renders can portray.

Here's another angle of the alternate design.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...FrontAngle.jpg

All this is, is a shorter 5th gen with a remodeled rear end and rims. its sleek, but doesnt match 6th gen. A 6th gen will be a new platform and while it willresemble a 5th gen, this version is just WAYYYY too close to one. Not really a revamp.