CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   My Design Idea for the 2016 Camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310821)

Doc 08-02-2013 11:17 PM

My Design Idea for the 2016 Camaro

4 Attachment(s)
Since I've complained about the 2014 refresh and criticized the styling, I felt it would be worth the effort (and only fair) to at least show what I would like to see and have in mind for the styling of the 6th gen Camaro. These are my own ideas and while not exactly how I see it in my mind, they're pretty close. Trying to put on paper an image you have in your mind isn't quite as easy as you would think it would be. I'm not an automotive artist so I struggled greatly with various details; especially the side view. And for those that are curious, these are all done in Adobe Illustrator.

First we have the front/side/rear view of my interpretation of an SS 1LE which has the wide 19" wheels, wheel well extensions and racing stripes. The long "stripe" on the side isn't a stripe; it's actually a grooved recess to help hide body panel seams. The side scoops are functional; on the track models (1LE, ZL1, Z/28) they provide air to the trans and diff coolers. Putting the coolers back there helps shift some of the forward weight to the rear to improve the front to rear weight balance.
Attachment 540061

Next we have a pair of alternate views; the top views 5 and 6 are more traditional with the round tail light styling inspired by the 1970 1/2 Camaro, and round headlights. For views 5a and 6a on the bottom the back has a stylized version of the 1967 tail lights but with a horizontal backup light in the middle to modernize it a bit; the front has stylized rectangular headlights which are also a more modern look.
Attachment 540063

The 5b views below show the back of the SS on the top without the racing stripes so the body shape is easier to see, and the bottom view shows the back of the RS which does not have the wheel well extensions and has narrower tires than the SS.
Attachment 540064

Lastly we have 3 variations of the back. I tried several versions before I settled on (mostly) the traditional round tail lights but these are interesting nonetheless. View 1 shows a european style red/orange lens with the back up light in the middle of the orange turn indicator. View 2 shows a basically standard euro lens setup. Both views 1 and 2 have large Chevy logos that protrude outward and have lights underneath them that illuminate the license plate below. View 3 is the RS with the 1967 inspired tail lights, narrower tires and no wheel well extensions. The Chevy logo is smaller and the license plate lights are on the sides of the license plate. View 4 is the front of the RS again, with narrower tires and no wheel well extensions.
Attachment 540062

The overall styling inspirations are from various years. The back with the drop center is based on the 1970 1/2 models. Tail light treatments vary from 1967-70. The front is a hybrid inspiration of the 5th gen (which I consider part of the style heritage now) and the 1969 grill. The bottom of the front is actually inspired by Jim Hall's fabulous Chaparral racing cars of the 1960's which I always loved. The lower opening is completely clear; there's nothing there...it's completely open. I envision some kind of black grill structure in front of the radiator to protect it but the air flow otherwise is unobstructed. The running/fog light openings have enough space to put in air ducts for the brakes on the track versions; i.e. 1LE, ZL1, Z/28.

I haven't put any additional design thought into the ZL1 or Z/28 at this point but I'll probably work on some aero pieces (especially a rear wing). Trying to get all these style elements to balance and look right is not as easy as you might think.

So, what do you think... Good? Bad? Like it? It sucks do it over? I welcome legitimate style critique as long as it's about the design and style and not personal insults.

GunnyG 08-02-2013 11:23 PM

Looks like a Challenger mated with a Monte Carlo to me... You have some impressive CAD skills, though. Very detailed, and thought out. I like the two rounded lights vs. the squared. :thumbsup: on your work.

oklapike 08-02-2013 11:54 PM

I'm just the opposite, I prefer the first gen inspired taillights and squared headlights. The rear ends with the round tails scream '80s Ferrari to me. Other than that, it's hard for me to get a good feel for the dimensions (likely due to my almost complete ignorance of automotive design), I'd love to see your pics up side-by-side with the new ATS.

midnighter 08-02-2013 11:56 PM

It looks exotic like a Ferrari or Austin Martin.

SUKXOST 08-03-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnyG (Post 6852053)
Looks like a Challenger mated with a Monte Carlo to me... You have some impressive CAD skills, though. Very detailed, and thought out. I like the two rounded lights vs. the squared. :thumbsup: on your work.

Agreed. Too generic looking IMO

BlackMamba88 08-03-2013 04:01 AM

Wow brother I really like the 1st Design, looks like a newer lighter 5th gen! That Bumble Bee Camaro is horrible and really hope thats not the 6th gen. GM should get some tips from you, awesome skills.

oldfriend 08-03-2013 07:33 AM

i like the most 5A/6A , but i think that the headlights should be moved a little more to the outside
by doing so in my opinion it will make the front look a little less fat

FINALLYSATISFIED 08-03-2013 07:59 AM

At a first glance it reminded me of the Ford GT (front and rear design) not sure why. I do however like certain aspects of what you came up with. Overall though I like it. I'm trying to imagine it being an actual car.

redleader 08-03-2013 08:02 AM

Brilliant skills
Thank you ! :-)

Blk-Ice 08-03-2013 08:08 AM

I like the rear of the first design with the round tail lights.....however i'm not feelin the front. I agree with Finally Satisfied, the front does look somewhat Ford GT-ish. Good job though!

Doc 08-03-2013 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfriend (Post 6852533)
i like the most 5A/6A , but i think that the headlights should be moved a little more to the outside
by doing so in my opinion it will make the front look a little less fat

I moved the headlights outward a bit and removed the racing stripes so there's less visual distraction. Does this look more like what you were thinking?
Attachment 540180

motorhead 08-03-2013 10:12 AM

I hope you're not on the camaro design team. Sorry, but nothing about that other than the emblems speak GM or Camaro.

Doc 08-03-2013 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6852554)
At a first glance it reminded me of the Ford GT (front and rear design) not sure why. I do however like certain aspects of what you came up with. Overall though I like it. I'm trying to imagine it being an actual car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blk-Ice (Post 6852575)
I like the rear of the first design with the round tail lights.....however i'm not feelin the front. I agree with Finally Satisfied, the front does look somewhat Ford GT-ish. Good job though!

Probably the racing stripes give that impression although the front is a fairly strict interpretation of the 5th gen with a 1969 styled grill in it. Here's another view without the racing stripes and also a view of the RS which doesn't have the wheel well extensions and has the taller 20" wheels.

Does this look less like a Ford?
Attachment 540183

Doc 08-03-2013 10:25 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 6852780)
I hope you're not on the camaro design team. Sorry, but nothing about that other than the emblems speak GM or Camaro.

Really?? NOTHING at all???

Attachment 540190
Attachment 540184Attachment 540185
Attachment 540186Attachment 540187
Attachment 540188Attachment 540189

Bhobbs 08-03-2013 11:10 AM

The front grille is too narrow to me. It throws off the whole design.

PYROLYSIS 08-03-2013 11:23 AM

I like both the rear ends and both sets of tail lights. The overall shape has too much fifth gen in I for my taste with it being a sixth gen. Great job though.

motorhead 08-03-2013 11:26 AM

Sorry, I see what you we're trying to do but it doesn't work with your overall design. The side view screams challenger.

KMPrenger 08-03-2013 12:27 PM

Doc,

Impressive work here! I think many people will have a very hard time looking at these basic renderings and getting past some of the "simple" shapes and envisioning what could be. For instance, the headlights/tail lights on 5A and 6A (which happens to be my favorite). Imagine those lights with fancy looking HID/LED features. Look at what GM did with the 14 Vette tails and apply that same type of thing to these tails and you could have something pretty cool.

One thing that stands out in my mind, is the side view. The rendering makes the car look pretty fat/heavy. I think the belt line needs to be lower, and the roof needs to appear higher (not actually be higher) thus making the car look more trim, and lighter.

I have some other thoughts, but pretty hard for me to put them into words lol.

Angrybird 12 08-03-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6852783)
Probably the racing stripes give that impression although the front is a fairly strict interpretation of the 5th gen with a 1969 styled grill in it. Here's another view without the racing stripes and also a view of the RS which doesn't have the wheel well extensions and has the taller 20" wheels.

Does this look less like a Ford?
Attachment 540183

This with the round tail lights is by far my favorite. The one you did with the blue stripes screams mustang. It need regular rally stripes not ones that go all the way from the bottom of the front bumper to the bottom of the rear bumper.

KMPrenger 08-03-2013 01:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK...so I decided to have a little fun with your rendering Doc

1) Changed round fogs to angled ones and made the black housings slightly bigger...I think something angled up there with LEDs would look more modern than round, but don't really have anything against the round.

2) I made the "black" area of the lower front air dam shorter than the outward ends. Gives the front more character...and this is exactly what Chevy has done with the new Vette and the Impala,

3) The shaded areas just below the fogs, I changed the angle from flat to angled

4) Brought in the fender flares at the bottoms to show more tire

5) softened the angles of the hood a bit on the outside so you don't see the hard edges as well.

6) Cut off some of the tire length in the front shot...car just looks to high in originals.

7) Gave the head lights an outlined LED shape that I thought would look good with this design....not too hung up on that though. They could maybe be a tad bigger.

In the rear I wasn't exactly sure what to do. I just felt like there was too much "white space" there, so I though a couple indentions in the body there would look good. Doesn't have to be vents...just something to add character.

Also added more lines to the tail lights.

Lowered the blacked out part between the tail lights for more character.

I don't intend for you to add any of this into your design...these are just my opinions!

DemonZL1 08-03-2013 01:45 PM

your skills are great. I can definately see why you disliked the 14.

to me this is more of a Lotus, then a camaro.

2010SLVRBULIT 08-03-2013 01:50 PM

5 + 6a = WIN

KMPrenger 08-03-2013 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK...so guess I must be bored, cuz I took what I have above and changed the tail lights with some inspiration from this rendering below that I really like a lot. The lower and upper part would be illuminated when the brakes are not applied.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...CamaroBack.jpg

I swear I'm done now! Back to you DOC.

HuJass 08-03-2013 05:14 PM

Something's up with the profile.
Like the proportions between the greenhouse and rest of the car are off.
It looks like the greenhouse is too small for the rest of the car.

Great skills, but you need to push the design more. It looks too much like a 5th gen. Like you just put a new nose & tail on the existing car.

GunnyG 08-03-2013 05:15 PM

This I like!!!

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...CamaroBack.jpg

Angrybird 12 08-03-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6852771)
I moved the headlights outward a bit and removed the racing stripes so there's less visual distraction. Does this look more like what you were thinking?
Attachment 540180

The back of this one looks too mustang like. It needs more "Camaro" and less Mustang.
Maybe the front of this with the rear with the round tail lights would be better.

Doc 08-04-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6853153)
OK...so I decided to have a little fun with your rendering Doc

1) Changed round fogs to angled ones and made the black housings slightly bigger...I think something angled up there with LEDs would look more modern than round, but don't really have anything against the round.

2) I made the "black" area of the lower front air dam shorter than the outward ends. Gives the front more character...and this is exactly what Chevy has done with the new Vette and the Impala,

3) The shaded areas just below the fogs, I changed the angle from flat to angled

4) Brought in the fender flares at the bottoms to show more tire

5) softened the angles of the hood a bit on the outside so you don't see the hard edges as well.

6) Cut off some of the tire length in the front shot...car just looks to high in originals.

7) Gave the head lights an outlined LED shape that I thought would look good with this design....not too hung up on that though. They could maybe be a tad bigger.

In the rear I wasn't exactly sure what to do. I just felt like there was too much "white space" there, so I though a couple indentions in the body there would look good. Doesn't have to be vents...just something to add character.

Also added more lines to the tail lights.

Lowered the blacked out part between the tail lights for more character.

I don't intend for you to add any of this into your design...these are just my opinions!

I really like what you did with the lower front fog lights. The thing I'm hearing with everyone's reaction is they don't really want a conservative evolution of the 5th gen design; they want a revolutionary 6th gen. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'm going back to the drawing board and work on a more advanced design. The challenge will be to not make it look like a Lambo or some other exotic car. This is easy to fall into if you start going with low-profile wedge-type designs.

All kinds of radical, futuristic designs can be drawn but you still have to keep in mind that an engine, interior and people have to fit inside the shape. And the Camaro has to be a 4 seater otherwise you have a Vette.

KM I really appreciate your positive feedback and efforts, that's exactly the type of response I was hoping would happen. Everyone... keep the ideas/feedback going and let me know what kind of feel you want the 6th gen to have; what kind of "look" are you looking for.

Mgizzle 08-04-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnyG (Post 6853802)

I am speechless on that rendering, this is an amazing look. I can't wait to see the what the next camaro will look like, I love my 1LE so much that I am already planning on adding the new version of it too......... I got problems....

delta6 08-04-2013 04:15 AM

I dunno..it looks like a downgrade instead of an upgrade from the 5th gen. Don't get me wrong...you have skills...I'm just giving my 2c.

Maybe a little futuristic design like the new stingray...more LED...innovative but sporty looking...

GunnyG's design looks nice though...although I don't know what's going on with the lower door/side skirt area...it looks like it got bent or something.

Taintedveins 08-04-2013 05:44 AM

The entire thing looks like a wide body kit try narrowing the car down and make the grill fit the front end more proportional. The tail lights scream foreign super car.

rickr9504 08-04-2013 08:14 AM

it's not bad, it's just that this car would starve air because of the front lower grille being too small. Remember Chevrolet redesigned the front because they discovered most of the air in the engine was coming from the bottom.

Wanna-Play 08-04-2013 08:48 AM

Nice Pics

Renderings 5 & 6 are very good, Ugly round lights are a thing of the past!! :coolpics:

Angrybird 12 08-04-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taintedveins (Post 6855365)
The entire thing looks like a wide body kit try narrowing the car down and make the grill fit the front end more proportional. The tail lights scream foreign super car.

At least they wouldn't be calling it a prelude.

Number 3 08-04-2013 08:53 AM

No criticism here, what you've done would be great for a refresh and I like the thought that went into it.

If you are looking to fix most of what's wrong with the Camaro styling though, you haven't changed the underlying car very much.

On the current car the belt line is toooooo high, the roof tooooooo slammed. The fenders are too high and the rear is toooooo ummm big. It's just hard to maneuver as those styling attributes make the car drive even bigger than it is.

Your proportions indicate no change in the size of the car, just a rework of the current car. And again, that looks great!

If you (like 99% of the rest of the people here on Camaro5) want a 3500 pound Camaro, it has to get smaller.

Love all of your details, I'd just like to see them applied to a car with the hoped for smaller proportions and less of the elements that have hindered the current design.

My predictions for the next Camaro is it will be a much more livable car. It will have better visibility, more refinement and be a much better car for the non V8 crowd. And then when you put the V8 in ........ magic will happen.

I believe that short of some of the technology and Full Time AWD the next Camaro will be much closer to the Audi A5/S5/RS5 except much lighter. The Audi A4 platform with AWD is pretty much a pig. My S4 weighs abut 400 pounds more than our new ATS.

I am very curious to see how far they are willing to go from the heritage styling. Look at the new Corvette and you have to look pretty deep to find much heritage there other than the configuration of the chassis/frame.

Mikes SS 08-04-2013 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 540549

Ummmm yeah!! Sexy!!

KMPrenger 08-04-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 6855607)

On the current car the belt line is toooooo high, the roof tooooooo slammed. The fenders are too high and the rear is toooooo ummm big. It's just hard to maneuver as those styling attributes make the car drive even bigger than it is.

Your proportions indicate no change in the size of the car, just a rework of the current car. And again, that looks great!

My predictions for the next Camaro is it will be a much more livable car. It will have better visibility, more refinement and be a much better car for the non V8 crowd. And then when you put the V8 in ........ magic will happen.

I disagree and agree with your statement lol. Of course I respect your opinion and this is just my opinion, but I love the high belt line, the big huge broad shoulders for fenders, and the big butt. I love all of that. Its what makes the car so striking...there is nothing else quite like it. For me, if they took all of that away your left with a much more bland template to work with.

That said, if they did lower the belt line down a bit and give it more of a green house I'm sure it would still look great. The car would look more slim, and visibility would improve somewhat....but I still feel like if they want to have a higher beltline and a tad less greenhouse than the Mustang I am perfectly fine with that. In fact...I'd prefer it.

As for your predictions on the next car and its livability and drivability, I completely agree.

I do agree that the renderings here are more of a 5th gen refresh than a whole new generation, but if Chevy wants to make the 6th an evolution of the 5th I'm fine with that. I just have to pray they nail the styling, b/c I don't feel the nailed it with the 5th gen refresh.

If they raised the belt line a bit, the rest of the car would shrink appropriately and they could definitely get the car to be a bit smaller, and on the lighter Alpha chassis.

Otherwise if they want to go a whole new design (but hopefully keep some of the Camaro trademark characteristics) I'm down for that too!

Doc 08-04-2013 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 6855607)
No criticism here, what you've done would be great for a refresh and I like the thought that went into it.

If you are looking to fix most of what's wrong with the Camaro styling though, you haven't changed the underlying car very much.

If you (like 99% of the rest of the people here on Camaro5) want a 3500 pound Camaro, it has to get smaller.

Love all of your details, I'd just like to see them applied to a car with the hoped for smaller proportions and less of the elements that have hindered the current design.

I believe that short of some of the technology and Full Time AWD the next Camaro will be much closer to the Audi A5/S5/RS5 except much lighter. The Audi A4 platform with AWD is pretty much a pig. My S4 weighs abut 400 pounds more than our new ATS.

I am very curious to see how far they are willing to go from the heritage styling. Look at the new Corvette and you have to look pretty deep to find much heritage there other than the configuration of the chassis/frame.

Thank you for your feedback; all good and valid points. The problem is the Camaro has such a strong identity and the 5th gen was such a roaring success, that trying to depart from the heritage styling puts you on real thin ice. I can do all kinds of things but does it look and feel like a Camaro? It's real easy to slide into the exotic euro car look, or the Japanese concept car look, or make it so futuristic it doesn't look like anything people would recognize as a Camaro. Just because there's a badge on it that says Camaro would people accept it? You saw the reaction to just the 2014 refresh elements.

The other problem is the side view. The roof and window line of the heritage style is so iconic it's extremely risky to abandon that.

Here's a different style that's more futuristic but keeps the side view identity.
Attachment 540553

I know if I could do a perspective drawing it would be much easier for people to visualize this look but so far that's eluded my drawing skills.

I could lower the belt line and raise the roof level as you suggested but then it starts to lose that hunkered down muscle look. I don't know the mechanical dimensions of the new platform so it's hard to guess at what the limitations are for proportions. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Camaro designers and the enormity of the task they're facing at doing a redesign. If they spend all the money to do a redesign, roll it out and the customer base starts blowing chunks, that's a hell of an expensive oops.

I really appreciate the constructive feedback; everyone's thoughts, reactions, ideas are welcome. I'll try to incorporate as much as I can with each revision.

Angrybird 12 08-04-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6855962)
Thank you for your feedback; all good and valid points. The problem is the Camaro has such a strong identity and the 5th gen was such a roaring success, that trying to depart from the heritage styling puts you on real thin ice. I can do all kinds of things but does it look and feel like a Camaro? It's real easy to slide into the exotic euro car look, or the Japanese concept car look, or make it so futuristic it doesn't look like anything people would recognize as a Camaro. Just because there's a badge on it that says Camaro would people accept it? You saw the reaction to just the 2014 refresh elements.

The other problem is the side view. The roof and window line of the heritage style is so iconic it's extremely risky to abandon that.

Here's a different style that's more futuristic but keeps the side view identity.
Attachment 540553

I know if I could do a perspective drawing it would be much easier for people to visualize this look but so far that's eluded my drawing skills.

I could lower the belt line and raise the roof level as you suggested but then it starts to lose that hunkered down muscle look. I don't know the mechanical dimensions of the new platform so it's hard to guess at what the limitations are for proportions. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Camaro designers and the enormity of the task they're facing at doing a redesign. If they spend all the money to do a redesign, roll it out and the customer base starts blowing chunks, that's a hell of an expensive oops.

I really appreciate the constructive feedback; everyone's thoughts, reactions, ideas are welcome. I'll try to incorporate as much as I can with each revision.

That rear still looks like a mustang or challenger to me.

Doc 08-04-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6856028)
That rear still looks like a mustang or challenger to me.

Do you have any images? I don't see that look at all.

Kleeeb 08-04-2013 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 6855925)
Attachment 540549

Ummmm yeah!! Sexy!!

My favorite rendition so far. The only one that I have found that I may like equally is ... Reminds me of one of my favorite cars, the Audi S7. :love: