CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   DIY - LED Reverse Lights MOD (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489667)

keon718nyc 03-30-2017 05:51 PM

DIY - LED Reverse Lights MOD

10 Attachment(s)
Well after reading another thread and wanting to change out my Reverse LED's for some time now i figured i would post this for those that are interested without having to spend more then $20-$30 or even less total. I give all the credits to TonyNo & Nookz for this one just wanted to post clear pics on the before and after as well as what you will need ect.

1. A set of LED Reverse Bulbs (i got mine from Amazon) $15-$25. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. A set of needle nose pliers to cut and crimp the wire down to the bulb connections front and back as shown in pictures below.

3. Two 2.2k Ohm Resistors, 1/4 W, 5% - A pack of 25pcs goes on Amazon for $5.77 or another forum member mentioned Radio Shack if you still have one around you for about .75 for 2pcs! - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Resistor wire will need to be cut to fit over the LED Bulb wire as in sample pictures below. The resister used in the reverse lights is just to compensate for the reverse switch that leaks current when not closed as pointed out from another member. Enjoy the pics and money saving on this awesome DIY MOD!!!! :thumb:

MANNAXMAN 03-31-2017 09:18 AM

Nice write-up, keon. After seeing TonyNo's post and getting more detail from Nookz a little while back, I knew I wanted to go this route for the LED conversion.

FLYNNZL1 03-31-2017 09:31 AM

Any heat issues from the resistor?

cmeJATT 03-31-2017 09:45 AM

very nice!! i need to do this lol

keon718nyc 03-31-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYNNZL1 (Post 9646203)
Any heat issues from the resistor?

None, works flawless no heat at all. I checked a few times last night to be sure on it. For a few bucks and 15 minutes or so this was the best mod by far for what its worth!!!! Thanks everyone, Glad i can share this with you guys!:thumb:

tecboy 03-31-2017 10:44 AM

i assume each led needs a resistor installed across the leads...

keon718nyc 03-31-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecboy (Post 9646376)
i assume each led needs a resistor installed across the leads...

Yes exactly, All you need is 2 of them. If you can find them by piece i would imagine them to be about 20cents each but only i can find a 25pk on Amazon for $5.77. I may just give the rest of my resistors away to some forum members looking to do this LED conversion next week when i have some time.

FLYNNZL1 03-31-2017 10:54 AM

Thank you for sharing, does the resistor go on a certain way?

keon718nyc 03-31-2017 11:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
To be honest i followed this picture attached and just kinda routed it the same way. I am thinking its a remote to ground or positive to ground. Either way if it is not in right and both bulbs are in the sockets and you will see a dim glow from them when threy are off meaning the resistors are not in the correct way. Here is a better pic from a forum member that i followed the same leads looking at the photo the farthest outer pin/wires is where to connect them -

tecboy 03-31-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keon718nyc (Post 9646397)
Yes exactly, All you need is 2 of them. If you can find them by piece i would imagine them to be about 20cents each but only i can find a 25pk on Amazon for $5.77. I may just give the rest of my resistors away to some forum members looking to do this LED conversion next week when i have some time.

thanks....there are actually a couple radio shacks still open in town..looks like they have them for about 75 cents for 2...

keon718nyc 03-31-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecboy (Post 9646424)
thanks....there are actually a couple radio shacks still open in town..looks like they have them for about 75 cents for 2...

That is perfect!!! They closed all the radio shacks here in my area but good find to those that have one still around :thumbsup:

Adrian97c 03-31-2017 11:08 AM

Wait so... you don't have to pull entire taillight off of the car??

Also... you don't have to drill hole to mount those big heat sink looking resistors?

If so this is the mod I need!

Could I send you my address? I don't have any radio shacks around here.

keon718nyc 03-31-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian97c (Post 9646437)
Wait so... you don't have to pull entire taillight off of the car??

Also... you don't have to drill hole to mount those big heat sink looking resistors?

If so this is the mod I need!

Lastly, I'd like to see exactly how to put the tiny resistor on the bottom of bulbs, I'm not sure how you do that... does it stick on to it? Do you wrap it around?

No need to pull the tail lights off at all and no drilling whatsoever! Simple as changing the bulb is far as it goes :) Just wrap the resistor around the best you can and as you plug them in the resistor wire will move down and the contacts of the resistor and bulb should tuck in securely in place. it took about 2 tries as i didn't have my wires on tight but a needle nose pliers worked wonders for that.

And yes, shoot me your address through a PM as i would be happy to send a pair out tomorrow or Monday at the latest and help those in need.

Adrian97c 03-31-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keon718nyc (Post 9646451)
No need to pull the tail lights off at all and no drilling whatsoever! Simple as changing the bulb is far as it goes :) Just wrap the resistor around the best you can and as you plug them in the resistor wire will move down and the contacts of the resistor and bulb should tuck in securely in place. it took about 2 tries as i didn't have my wires on tight but a needle nose pliers worked wonders for that.

And yes, shoot me your address through a PM as i would be happy to send a pair out tomorrow or Monday at the latest and help those in need.

I been holding off on this for along time... so glad I did! Thanks for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk