CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Possible oil pressure issue (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592305)

nighttowl 05-10-2021 09:26 PM

Possible oil pressure issue

My car odd oil pressure lately.
when it was new it had about 40 psi at idle warm. after a few thousand miles it went down a little to about 30 psi at warm idle, and at higher RPM it seemed to never go over 45ish on the display. I took it to the track recently, and changed the oil to the thicker oil. I rarely drive the car, and the oil is still in it. I drove it today and the oil pressure at a higher rpm is more than before; to what I would say is normal (50+), but its lower at hot idle than ive ever seen it - around 20-25 psi. The car has 14k miles on it. I think its low, compared to what it was new.

what is normal oil pressure on these engines?
do you think it may have an issue?

SSallday 05-10-2021 10:14 PM

Sounds like your oil pump is starting to fail. The pressure should be around 28-30psi at hot idle. This thread basically verifies that. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532479

There's a chance it could ruin your engine if the pump fails while you are driving. I would bring it to the dealer and explain the situation. What's the build date on your car?

nighttowl 05-10-2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSallday (Post 11008214)
Sounds like your oil pump is starting to fail. The pressure should be around 28-30psi at hot idle. This thread basically verifies that. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532479

There's a chance it could ruin your engine if the pump fails while you are driving. I would bring it to the dealer and explain the situation. What's the build date on your car?

not sure where to find it.
I bought it new in august 2017.

2SS Capt 05-10-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttowl (Post 11008225)

You should still be under the powertrain warranty, take it to a dealer and get it checked, the LT4 did have an oil pump failure issue...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532479

SSallday 05-10-2021 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttowl (Post 11008225)

Most of the failures occurred in the 2017s. There's a gray sticker on the driver side door jamb with the build date. It's only a matter of time before your pump fails completely, which could be catastrophic.

nighttowl 05-10-2021 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSallday (Post 11008240)
Most of the failures occurred in the 2017s. There's a gray sticker on the driver side door jamb with the build date. It's only a matter of time before your pump fails completely, which could be catastrophic.

Thanks fo ryour thoughts on this.
I'll take it to the dealership to be looked at.

LT4Greg 05-11-2021 06:40 AM

Don’t know if the dealer will do anything for you except make a notation with your vin since you haven’t had a failure yet! Good luck and I’m keeping a watch on my 2017 every time I drive it now wondering if it will fail too. Mine has around 19,000 miles so far.

Trak-Toy 05-11-2021 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That’s the tell tale sign of impeding ‘total’ pump failure I’m told... once the hot idle shows 20 PSI, the cracks have occurred and the next step is total failure and potentially catastrophic engine damage. I would definitely not be driving or starting it anymore. Flat bed straight to the dealership. You may have gotten ‘lucky’ and caught it before it totally ruptures and sends debris into your oiling system. Most guys don’t even get that or don’t notice that low pressure until it’s too late.

Here’s my 18 ZLE at hot idle. Always seems to stay right at this 30 PSI mark. This is Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30 oil.

avalonandl 05-11-2021 07:58 AM

Which weight oil is in it and did you track with that oil. I think your pump is OK but I would change oil IMMEDIATELY.

LT4Greg 05-11-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trak-Toy (Post 11008346)
That’s the tell tale sign of impeding ‘total’ pump failure I’m told... once the hot idle shows 20 PSI, the cracks have occurred and the next step is total failure and potentially catastrophic engine damage. I would definitely not be driving or starting it anymore. Flat bed straight to the dealership. You may have gotten ‘lucky’ and caught it before it totally ruptures and sends debris into your oiling system. Most guys don’t even get that or don’t notice that low pressure until it’s too late.

Here’s my 18 ZLE at hot idle. Always seems to stay right at this 30 PSI mark. This is Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30 oil.

My 2017 at hot idle is sometimes between 20 and 30 but not always.

Trak-Toy 05-11-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT4Greg (Post 11008516)
My 2017 at hot idle is sometimes between 20 and 30 but not always.

I am just going off what I was told by people who have had the oil pump failure. I won’t say it’s the definitive symptom. I’m not sure if there is one. I’ve read also where the oil pump just goes all at once, with no symptoms of pending failure. Who knows for sure? I will say that my 2018 ZLE holds steady at 29/30 psi when hot. And that’s with oil temps at 260*+ from ‘spirited’ driving. Is this normal? I don’t really know. With these pumps known to fail, if I see it drop to 20 psi or below, it’s going straight to the dealership to open a case file with GM noting the issue while it’s still under warranty.

LT4Greg 05-11-2021 06:25 PM

Yeah I know what you are saying. It’s a shame we have to keep our eyes on the oil pressure gauge while driving! I surely don’t have to do that driving around in my 2005 Silverado truck with a 4.8 liter V8 LS variant engine that has over 96,000 miles.

LT4Greg 05-11-2021 06:31 PM

And I use 5w30 Valvoline Synthetic in the truck and 5w30 Lucas Synthetic in the Camaro. Last oil change I did I used Lucas in the ZL1 just to try it and might go back to Valvoline though next oil change.

ZLE dude 05-12-2021 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trak-Toy (Post 11008671)
I am just going off what I was told by people who have had the oil pump failure. I won’t say it’s the definitive symptom. I’m not sure if there is one. I’ve read also where the oil pump just goes all at once, with no symptoms of pending failure. Who knows for sure? I will say that my 2018 ZLE holds steady at 29/30 psi when hot. And that’s with oil temps at 260*+ from ‘spirited’ driving. Is this normal? I don’t really know. With these pumps known to fail, if I see it drop to 20 psi or below, it’s going straight to the dealership to open a case file with GM noting the issue while it’s still under warranty.

Same here. I use a Banks Data Monster and I have it setup to alarm if my oil pressure ever goes below 27psi. I'm at nearly 26K miles now and it has always hot idled with 28-30 psi. That low oil pressure alarm is the first thing I setup because if I ever see it lit up I'll know something has changed immediately.