Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - New England (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Damn Rodents (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382864)

2012-2SS 10-30-2014 12:36 PM

Damn Rodents

3 Attachment(s)
Well my Camaro has sat outside my house for the last month while I've been away travelling for work. I get back and check all the fluids before I start it, just as I always do when I get back from a trip, and find this:

Attachment 671531

Attachment 671532

Attachment 671533

I didn't find a nest and no wiring or hoses have been chewed (thankfully). But I'm definitely going to replace the insulation. But what really bothers me is there's an acorn or something inside the hood that rolls around when I open it. The nest could be inside the hood but there's not way to see inside it to find out, as well as no way to get that damn acorn out.

I just bought some Dconn to kill the vermin and some mouse replant packets for when its stored this winter.

2012-2SS 10-30-2014 12:38 PM

Leaving this here for my later reference:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313596

Gee 10-30-2014 12:43 PM

wow. that sucks! hope it doesnt cost too much. gl with the rodents

pickwithaustin 10-30-2014 12:53 PM

This really sucks.
My son has had the same issue, only they also got to some of his wiring, when he used to park over night where he worked. Squirrels too, of all things.

Evil-Bee-NH 10-30-2014 03:49 PM

It's the squirrels ya it was not the honey badger or the raccoon you didn't see slipping under your car to make a nest and chew your felt yep definately was them squirrels. Welcome to NH.

2012-2SS 10-30-2014 04:15 PM

Went to my dealer parts depo and got all 3 pieces ordered. $41 delivered to the dealer on Thursday. Not too shabby. And It looks like installation won't be too hard either as these pieces are just at the top of the engine compartment and don't extend all the way down the firewall.

Sunkistcamaro 10-30-2014 05:34 PM

That sucks! Good luck keeping them away.

One-Bad-ZL1 11-04-2014 03:47 PM

I just saw a hurd of squirrels migrating north straight to your house....send squirrel immigration, maybe you can stop them at the border.

Happy_Dan 11-05-2014 06:42 AM

No, we voted a Dem for Gov. the border is open

Spartan01 11-05-2014 08:46 AM

Ewww Gross!
Be careful, your car might end up with the Janta virus.

I had something similar happen once-
I had an aftermarket stereo in my Eclipse. I popped the hood one day and there is a dead rat stuck in there. It had been chewing through the capacitors power wire and must have gotten a big fat dose of DC current. It was really gross

Gee 11-05-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan01 (Post 8046676)
Ewww Gross!
Be careful, your car might end up with the Janta virus.

I had something similar happen once-
I had an aftermarket stereo in my Eclipse. I popped the hood one day and there is a dead rat stuck in there. It had been chewing through the capacitors power wire and must have gotten a big fat dose of DC current. It was really gross

LMAO. Thats really gross and sucks that he messed up your car.... But equally hilarious. I cant imagine the clean up :/

Spartan01 11-05-2014 09:36 AM

The worst part?
He had been there for a few days, it was cold out and I noticed the smell...
When I went to get it out, I grabbed the tail...
Anyone ever heard of slippage?
Its when a few days after death the skin gets all oily and slippery...
anyway, the skin on the tail came off!!!
it was so gross....
so I grabbed a few trash bags, put them over my hand and scooped out the semi gelatinous mess...
on a plus side, when I threw the mess in the dumpster, somebody had thrown a whole bunch of DVDs in there (it was right next to a used CD/DVD store, remember them?) including Family Guy seasons 1 & 2, so it wasn't totally horrible

2012-2SS 11-14-2014 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the firewall insulation replaced. The insulation is 3 pieces. The driverside was easy, the engine one had 2 hidden plastic clips at the bottom that I had to go feeling around for, and passenger side was complicated. The brake lines, heater core lines, aluminum heat shield, and the contours make for a tough install. I wound up ripping a small part of it behind the brake line retainer clip. Luckily that part is hidden, you'd only see it if you pulled the engine.

Gee 11-14-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan01 (Post 8046794)
The worst part?
He had been there for a few days, it was cold out and I noticed the smell...
When I went to get it out, I grabbed the tail...
Anyone ever heard of slippage?
Its when a few days after death the skin gets all oily and slippery...
anyway, the skin on the tail came off!!!
it was so gross....
so I grabbed a few trash bags, put them over my hand and scooped out the semi gelatinous mess...
on a plus side, when I threw the mess in the dumpster, somebody had thrown a whole bunch of DVDs in there (it was right next to a used CD/DVD store, remember them?) including Family Guy seasons 1 & 2, so it wasn't totally horrible

I just threw up a little haha.