Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where do you keep your lug lock key? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434906)

scandata 01-01-2016 08:44 PM

Where do you keep your lug lock key?

I just put on a set of lug locks, and I put the key in a box in the trunk where I keep road flares, simple tools, and other emergency stuff. Then I got to thinking, if someone wanted to steal my wheels, isn't that where they'd expect to find my lug key? Since there's a trunk release in the car, it wouldn't take much effort to break a window and push a button. So where do you suggest I keep the key?

danvillekidd 01-01-2016 09:00 PM

Just an FYI, the truck release button does not work when the doors are locked and alarm set. I have tried while the windows down (alarm set) and reaching in to open the trunk before and it will not work.

shamp21 01-01-2016 09:07 PM

Why u wanna know so u can steal our wheels lmao

CamaroRS/SS10 01-01-2016 09:12 PM

I hate to say it but I work at a Tire shop and these are worthless. They make a socket to take them off and the thieves have them. If you lose your key you can't change the tire or take it off. We have people come in all the time that had to tow their car because they lost the key. Cost more money for the owner and doesn't save their rims if someone wants they will take them.

760bowtie 01-01-2016 10:20 PM

I threw mine in the rear pocket of the passenger seat

Candr3535 01-02-2016 12:04 AM

Glove compartment for me.

polizzio 01-02-2016 02:36 AM

There are spots in the interior where you can stash it and no one knows better. Just have to be a little creative.

Peeps above posted the obvious locations.....where the thieves look first.

Stormcloak 01-02-2016 02:40 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5e64892e35.jpg

Yes, I'm kidding.

PalmerGA 01-02-2016 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormcloak (Post 8818393)

I get it. :pound: Not my first choice...

PalmerGA 01-02-2016 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scandata (Post 8818025)
I just put on a set of lug locks, and I put the key in a box in the trunk where I keep road flares, simple tools, and other emergency stuff. Then I got to thinking, if someone wanted to steal my wheels, isn't that where they'd expect to find my lug key? Since there's a trunk release in the car, it wouldn't take much effort to break a window and push a button. So where do you suggest I keep the key?

I'm easy. I keep mine in the trunk, in a plastic case that holds my torque wrench. I want to make sure I have it with me at all times, especially when I go to the local Marine Base hobby shop to change oil/filter and rotate my tires every 5K miles.

If a thief wants my wheels, I'd just as soon they use the "key", rather than mess up anything else trying to get the locking lugs off.

polizzio 01-02-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 8818416)
I'm easy.
If a thief wants my wheels, I'd just as soon they use the "key", rather than mess up anything else trying to get the locking lugs off.

Well then, just hang it from the rear view mirror with some string.....maybe paint it fluorescent orange too.

myold88 01-02-2016 11:03 AM

I ordered an extra key when I got my Gorilla locks. I put all 20 locking lugs on
and keep one key in the trunk by the battery and the other in the glove box.
That was 6 years ago when even the factory wheels were being stolen like
crazy.... Today not so much.

paul84043 01-02-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroRS/SS10 (Post 8818082)
I hate to say it but I work at a Tire shop and these are worthless. They make a socket to take them off and the thieves have them. If you lose your key you can't change the tire or take it off. We have people come in all the time that had to tow their car because they lost the key. Cost more money for the owner and doesn't save their rims if someone wants they will take them.

In reality, most locks only keep honest people honest.
Thieves are lazy. If they have to spend an extra 5 minutes stealing your wheels, they're probably going to pass.
Don't make it easy for them. If they really want your stuff, they're going to get it no matter what.

My 9 year old daughter can pick a standard house lock in about a minute, she can pick most master locks in about 5, and I taught her how to make a shim out of a pop can to open a combination lock in 10 seconds.
The point is not to illustrate that I'm turning my daughter into a delinquent, but that locks in general are made by man, and are readily bypassed by man.

scandata 01-02-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroRS/SS10 (Post 8818082)

I've read that a few times before, and I'm sure it's true. Some tire thieves keep a whole set of various lug keys. But like Paul said, "Thieves are lazy. If they have to spend an extra 5 minutes stealing your wheels, they're probably going to pass." That's what I'm counting on: at least decreasing the number of people that will gank my wheels. No lock is 100% safe, but the way I look at it, even though there are people out there that can pick a deadbolt in seconds, I still lock my doors at night. Even though there are people with the skills to hack into the Pentagon, I still use a firewall and anti-virus. I'm just trying to cut out the amateurs and hope the pros and my car don't cross paths.